RE: GEM distribution

Hi Anne-Marie and Michel,

comments in text...

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Beaubien,Anne-Marie [CMC] wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>       Yes, ldm-wxo.cmc.ec.gc.ca is the correct address.
>
>       Currently, the firewall only allows LDM connections from systems
> "shemp" and "gilda".  Our Networks/security group is not too keen on
> opening up *.unidata.ucar.edu (possibility of over 65000 address hosts)
> in the firewall.  I will need the list of unidata LDM systems that may
> connect here to have them added to the firewall individually.

Understandable :) here is the list of machines we would like to have
access to the CMC:

 emo.unidata.ucar.edu
 oliver.unidata.ucar.edu
 motherlode.ucar.edu
 atm.cise-nsf.gov
 unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu  (this machine is new and would also need to
                        be added to the ldmd.conf file for an "allow")

Shemp can remain, but gilda has been retired so should be removed.

>       Also, Michel mentionned to me this morning that the ports for
> ldmping and notifyme are closed on our firewall, only port 388 can be
> accessed.  You can test the connection, however, using "telnet
> ldm-wxo.cmc.ec.gc.ca 388".  If you get "Connected to
> ldm-wxo.cmc.ec.gc.ca" then you've managed to pass the firewall.  If you
> get there but your system is not configured in ldmd.conf, you will
> receiving "Connection closed by foreign host":

ldmping and notifyme use port 388 as LDM utilities.

> $ telnet ldm-wxo 388 Trying 199.212.17.24... Connected to
> ldm-wxo.cmc.ec.gc.ca. Escape character is '^]'. ·ñ¦¨Connection closed by
> foreign host. $
>       Hopefully we'll get the firewall issues resolved soon...

Great, firewall seems to be our last hurdle. The community and Unidata
greatly appreciate your efforts.

Cheers,

Jeff Weber
Unidata Program Center