[Datastream #HCU-295985]: request for FNMOC data additions

Hi Harry,

> Hope things are well with you.

I am well, thanks.  I hope that things are going well for you as well!

> Here is the response of our main user of the data, David Ovens:
>
>   So it looks to me like the product is a PNG-compressed Mcidas area
>   file.  It sure makes a pretty picture, but our software needs a GRIB
>   file in order to use it to initialize the model.  Is there a way to
>   convert Mcidas area to GRIB?  pnga2area -> area2grib for instance

David is correct:

- the SST images are like all other images in the Unidata-Wisconsin
  datastream, PNG-compressed AREA files.

As far as being able to convert the data in the image to a GRIB message,
the answer is, unfortunately, no, not directly.  It seems to me, however,
that one should be able to do the conversion in GEMPAK.  A sequence
of img2gd -> gdgrib or img2gd -> gdgrib2.  See what David has to
say about this possibility (I am _not_ a GEMPAK expert!).

I will poke around to see if I can find the of the image that I am sending
in the UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS) datastream is.  If I can find the grid (GRIB
or GRIB2), we can figure out a way of making it available to all sites
who want it.

Ticket ID: HCU-295985
Department: Support Datastream