[Datastream ~RQX-262867]: Data request and status of previous requests

Hi Gilbert,

> Some time ago I made some requests for data, or data backups, and I'd like
> to know any updates. Specifically:

> 1. In case NOAAport goes down for any reason due to satellite or
> satellite-equipment failure (such as AMC-4 goes dead, the earth ground
> uplink station has a major crash-and-burn, or somebody broadcasts an
> out-of-band broadcast that interferes with the service, such as what
> happened last summer), can we have a backup directly from the NWS via
> Internet/Internet2? I wrote a letter about this that I guess was sent to
> NOAA last summer...?

Unidata responded to the email you sent to the Unidata Users Committee,
and in fact, I'm going to provide some URLs that show the steps taken
regarding the effort.  Let me begin by the October 4-5, 2007 Users
Committee Meeting following your email:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/committees/usercom/2007OctMtg/agenda.10.07.html

then go to:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/committees/usercom/2007maymtg/statusreports/nportoutage.html

This led to the following:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/committees/usercom/2007OctMtg/IDD_NOAAPORT_Backup.pdf

And in August, 2007, we developed a white paper that was sent to
several people at NWS.  You can see the white paper link at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/committees/usercom/2007OctMtg/agenda.10.07.html

We try to send an email to the community requesting comments or
suggestions for agenda items prior to each Users Committee Meeting, and
we hope people will scan the items for those pertinent to them.  In
retrospect, we should have followed up with you on this particular
item.  I'm sorry for not doing that!

The NWS has a back up solution for the NCF and the NWSTG, and they
continue to make the backup which connects them with other data
providers more robust through NOAAnet.  NOAAPort also has a backup
Master Ground Station for the satellite broadcast uplink.  In the case
you refer to above, they indicated that the satellite channel was
overridden by a rogue signal from another user of the satellite.

This is a long answer to a relatively short question, but I wanted you
to know that we definitely worked to seek a resolution to this issue.

I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Linda

Ticket ID: RQX-262867
Department: Support Datastream