[Eletter #UFQ-317073]: USPLN for November CommunitE-letter?

Hi Chris,

re:
> I don't think I ever heard back from the developers out there (Tom and
> Don?) about the USPLN decoders after the aborted request to do the USPLN
> announcement in September.

I guess that we did not keep you enough in the loop...

The hold up at the moment is GEMPAK.  Michael (our new GEMPAK person)
is frantically working on the GEMPAK 5.11.4 release.  He is getting very
close to integrating all of the NCEP modifications into a Unidata release
(NCEP adopted their own 'make' approach to building NAWIPs in v 5.11.4
AND they moved files around in the pre-existing directory structure,
so the integration has been much harder than usual).

The idea is to have a coordinated announcement of the USPLN service and
availability of decoders for the data in GEMPAK and McIDAS (and IDV
since it can access the data through the McIDAS ADDE server).

> Can we please try to get the ball rolling
> for a November announcement?

The ball is being rolled has hard/fast as it can developmentwise :-)

> I have an update to put in place for the
> web pages on my end, but the bulk of that is "ready to go."  (There
> appears to be an html formating issue in Internet Explorer, plus I want
> to put some more information up for the LDM configuration and decoder
> pieces.)

One thing that is a bit of an issue for us is the continued use of the EXP
feedtype for IDD distribution of the data.  We have changed the naming
of the NLDN IDD datastream to LIGHTNING in LDM v6.7+ in anticipation of
both types of data being made available in a single feedtype.

Question:

- is there any possibility of getting WSI to switch to use the LIGHTNING
  feed type?

> See you next week!

See ya...

Ticket ID: UFQ-317073