[Datastream #OMB-868480]: GOES-10 McIDAS data

Hi Stacy,

re:
> Thanks again Tom.

No worries.

re:
> I've ftp'd some of the goes12 ir data and run some utilities on it.  The
> quick looks I got were not bad.  They're sometimes missing data for the
> southern half of the continent, but that doesn't look like a persistent
> problem.

One of the prime criteria for inclusion of GOES-10 data in the GOES-East
UNIWISC sectors is temporal proximity:  the GOES-10 scan must be within
15 minutes of the GOES-12 scan to be included.  The times where the southern
most portion of the image is blank is almost 100% due to instances when the
GOES-10 scanning schedule does not match (to within 30 minutes) that of GOES-12.

> One (hopefully last) question.  I thought goes12 data was 10bit data,
> but one of the utilities I ran told me it was 1byte data.   If you could
> clarify this for me, I'd appreciate it.

The Unidata-Wisconsin sectors are 1-byte, not 10-bit.  This cuts the broadcast
size significantly.  Since the archive is composed of the sectors that were
sent in the broadcast (meaning the IDD UNIWISC datastream), they are also
1-byte.

One last heads-up.  We are very close to having our GOES-10 ingest system fully
up and running.  When it is, you will be able to pull full resolution GOES-10
data from the McIDAS ADDE server that gives remote access to the data.  Would
you like to be informed when this capability is operational?

Along with realtime access to GOES-10 via ADDE, we also have realtime access
to GOES-12 and GOES-11 data via ADDE.

> Thanks.

No worries.

Ticket ID: OMB-868480