[LDM #UIR-831374]: Redunancy in the redundancy department...FSL2 feed?

Hi Gilbert,

The lateness of my reply is due to my being out skiing yesterday -- fantastic
:-)

re: have you read something that indicates that both the hourly summary and
6-minute
profiler data data are now being sent operationally

> No, but that was going to lead me to the next question: are they doing so,
> and...

I believe that the answer is yes, this is scheduled to happen.  The frequencies
for
the profiler demonstration network (the 31 profiler sites now included in the
FSL2 feed) need to be changed, first.

re: do you know what the headers for the 6-minute products look like

> That was the other question I was going to ask.

As far as I can tell, the 6-minute data is not included in NOAAPort at all.  The
6-minute data has never been considered to be close to being operational, so I
am not expecting it to be added to NOAAPort in the future.

re: What prompted your question?

> As I was looking over our NOAAport feed, I recognized one of the headers
> for profiler data, and I was thinking...I haven't kept up on it, I
> wonder if they added everything to NOAAport now?

After seeing your note, I did some websurfing to see if there is any updated
references for profiler data.  The best link I found (or, at least, the one
that I looked at most closely) was:

www.profiler.noaa.gov/bufr_format_docs/fileNameWmoFmt.pdf

This document is dated June 12, 2003, so it may be out of date.  It does,
however, describe the WMO headers for NOAAPort wind profiler (including RASS)
products, so it is useful.  After reviewing the document, I used the LDM
'notifyme' utility to see which of these products were included in NOAAport,
and I found quite a few.

In closing I can say that:

- the latest info I heard was that the demonstration profiler network is
  supposed to undergo an upgrade (at a minimum to change the frequency used)

- the data is supposed to eventually be considered operational

- support for the profiler data in BUFR format will need to be developed
  in ldm-mcidas (as I said in my last email, GEMPAK already has a decoder
  for the BUFR-formatted profiler data)

Ticket ID: UIR-831374
Department: Support Datastream