[Datastream #TVM-187420]: USPLN feed test and decoder info

Hi Chris (with CC to Gary Lackmann and Linda Miller),

This will be a stab from the past :-)

Way back at the end of November, I sent the following message to you:

> re:
> > I just discovered this message (after not responding when it first came
> > in - sorry) ....
>
> No worries.  I understand what is like to be buried by an avalanche of email!
>
> > I'll revive the topic ...
>
> Consider it revived :-)
>
> So, did you look at the image I sent in the original email?  It shows that
> there
> is a rectangular box region over the CONUS in which USPLN data processing is
> significantly different from data outside of the box.  I would appreciate
> some meaningful commentary from the USPLN folks about the reason for this
> difference.
>
> Just so you know...  Chiz developed a USPLN decoder for GEMPAK, and I
> developed
> one for McIDAS.  Decoding into McIDAS makes the data available to any
> ADDE-enabled
> application like McIDAS, the IDV, Matlab, IDL, etc.

Do you want to resurrect the USPLN discussion in the upcoming User Committee
meeting?

If you recall, there were some outstanding issues that you agreed to check on:

- removing Unidata references from the USPLN licensing agreement
- the processing of flash events over the CONUS (20N - 50N) is apparently
  different than outside of this area
- the flash events received in the LDM feed are not monotonically increasing
  in time

I am sure that there are other issues, but the above three might be enough to
start.

Ticket ID: TVM-187420
Department: Support Datastream