[Datastream #NSS-109545]: GRIB-2 files

Kevin,

The NWS has installed their new super computer last week, so the 180 day
transition
period of grib1 to grib2 files has started. The FTP directories will be
populated with
grib1 versions still for at least 180 days.

The NOAAPORT broadcast has added fields in GRIB2 to the NWSTG2 channel which we
provide as the NGRID data feed. There are only a few grids being briadcast
in grib2 under the HDS (the aviation weather center grids). The NWS has volume
restrictions on NOAAPORT to anticipate the worst case scenario (eg all radars
in precip mode, with full images etc), so duplicating within the NWSTG feed for
HDS
probably isn't possible. Rather, the new grids such as the RUC-2 13km grids
will be
added in the NWSTG2 feed. The NWS will announce updates on time for additions
on their
web site. The GFS sectors you had asked about previously are all now in the
NGRID feed.
The NWS will announce any removals of data, after which they may have other
data to add
in its place.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport

> Hi,
> I sent the following message below to support-datastream 3 days ago and
> haven't got a response, so thought I would send to this one.
>
> I was wondering when we might start seeing the duplicate GRIB-2 files of
> the GRIB-1's currently coming across the HDS feed.
> I was looking at ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov
> (specifically
> ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.nam_CY.00/RD.20070123/)
> and saw that there are now .gr1 and .gr2 directories, so I know that the
> GRIB-2 data now exists.
> Should we expect to see these coming across the HDS feed at some point?
> Thanks for any info!
> Kevin Baggett
> UW-SSEC

Ticket ID: NSS-109545