To: "Linda Miller" <address@hidden>; "Allan Darling" <address@hidden>; "Walter Smith" <address@hidden>; "Paul Noonan" <address@hidden> Cc: "Wayne Gibson" <address@hidden>; "Unidata Support" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: Contact at NWS Gateway

Wayne and Linda,

Wayne is correct we receive Canadian SA data in both METAR and AIRWAYs
formats.  both are made available in their native format and the
Canadian Airways reports along with a few remaining U.S. reports in
AIRWAYs code are converted to METAR here at the NWSTG. We are aware of
some translation problems which have been corrected.  I'm not completely
sure if all the problems we were aware of fixed.  It is also possible
Wayne has identified a different problem.

Wayne should pass the details to Walter Smith and Allan Darling.
Allan's branch is responsible for the software and Walter for Data
Management.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I'm out of the office.

Cheers, Fred

Linda Miller wrote:
Hi Wayne,

FYI-Joe Irwin's email bounced. I believe he retired and I forgot about that, so we'll hope that Fred will get back to you on this question.

Thanks again,

Linda

Wayne Gibson wrote:
Linda,

That is a good question. If issued by the CWAO office, then the format is standard airways (SA) and the precipitation is correct. If issued by KWBC, then the format is METAR and the precipitation is incorrect. As another check, the METAR format can't be correct as the monthly precipitation totals for many of the Canadian sites starting in April 2006 are very low (2-11 mm) and those values are not realistic.

Thanks for tending to this quickly.

Wayne

- Wayne Gibson                                   -
- Senior Research Assistant                      -
- Oregon State University                        -
- Spatial Climate Analysis Service               -
- Email: address@hidden             -
- Web Site: http://www.ocs.oregonstate.edu/prism -
- Web Site: http://www.ocs.oregonstate.edu       -
- Voice: 541.737.5696                            -