[Datastream #YCX-829258]: FTP Access to Unidata2 UNIWISC archives

Hi Dee,

I was traveling home from the Internet2 Members Meeting in Chicago when I
first saw your message.  I notice that you are out of the office at the
moment :-)

re:
> Do you folks allow anyone to have access to the data on your Unidata2
> machine.

An answer in three parts:

- if you mean "just anyone" to access the data on unidata2, the answer is
  no

- if you mean do we allow access to the imagery sent in the IDD UNIWISC
  (aka MCIDAS) datastream, then the answer is yes especially for educational
  institutions.  Others are given passworded FTP access on a case-by-case
  basis.

- if you mean do we give folks ADDE access to the real time images being sent
  out in the IDD UNIWISC datastream (datasets GOESEAST, EAST, and WEST), the
  answer is yes, but the access is not well known and so has only been used
  by registered Unidata users

> See request below.

It is unclear to me what the user is requesting access to.  I would imagine
that the user is asking for access to realtime and archive data available
through the Data Center.  Since they are not a .edu site, I would imagine that
their access would not be free, but that is your call.

If the user's needs would be satisfied with the image sectors being sent
in the IDD UNIWISC feed, and if the user wants all of the data in near
real-time,
then the best access would be by the IDD.

Do you want me to contact the user to further inquiry as to exactly what the
data request is?  Or, will you contact the user to clarify their data needs
and send them to us if their needs can be met with the image sectors being
sent in the IDD?

> > To:
> > address@hidden
> >

> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Email sent by Dr Santosh K Raghavan  via
> > http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/email_form.cgi
> > (email link on http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/media/disclaimer.html used):
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Dear co-ordinator
> >
> > I am working with Department of Atmospheric science, Cochin University of
> > Science and Technology.
> > I would like to have access to the SSEC Data Center if you give permission
> > outside users.
> >
> > If permission is granted, it would be usefull for me and the student
> > community
> > to grather information from the different satellite data.
> >
> > If my request is permissible kindly inform the further steps I have to carry
> > out
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Dr Santosh K. Raghavan
> > Senior lecturer