[Datastream #DBP-515936]: Archived Satellite Data and Model fields

Hi Jennie,

re:
> I apologize for having to ask a question that I have asked before, but
> I think things have changed a lot...

No worries.

> What kinds of archives are available for retrieving GOES satellite
> imagery (from this spring, late April and May)?  There used to be a
> SSEC archive we had access to, but I seem to recall that accessing it
> changed?

There are at least two "archives" that you can access:

- images sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin (UNIWISC) IDD datastream
- images from the SSEC Data Center

The first set of images is not 100% complete, but it is substantial.  The access
information for passworded FTP is:

machine:  unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
user:     unidata3
pass:     unirec7

Data that is not pulled from tape will be located in subdirectories of the
'realtime'
directory.  Data that is pulled from tape will be located in subdirectories of
the
'urequest' directory.  The file naming convention is very simple, so I don't
feel
like I need to go into it here.

You may find that your FTP client needs to support passive mode (the FTP client
that comes wit
Solaris does not, for instance).  The symptom of this would you connect but are
unable to get a
directory listing.  If yours does not, you need to use something like ncftp.

The second source of archived satellite imagery is available for US
universities (.edu)
only:

Space Science and Engineering Data Center
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter/

  Archive Data Information

   A portion of our archive is also available free of charge, to United States
universities
   for non-commercial use. For information regarding this service go to EDU
Requests
   (access restricted).

> Second, Steve Chiswell gave me a link for ftp'ing the GFS final
> analyses, but I have misplaced it...any help in finding an archive with
> these grids would be appreciated.  I missed a few in my own efforts to
> archive data (the one degree GFS) this spring.

Here is the information Chiz sent you in two different interactions:

  Date:    Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:00:56 MST
  The NCEP "final" analysis is the GDAS (Global Data Assimilation System). These
  grids are currently only on the NCEP non-operational ftp server (and not the
NWS
  TOC server), but after the NWS moratorium, we have asked that they get added
  the CONDUIT data stream. At the moment, you'd have to download them from
either
  ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov (or NCDC which may possibly be delayed 1 day).

  Date:    Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:37:50 MST
  You can download the GDAS pressure level grib files from:
  ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gdas.yyyymmdd/

  The grib files are gdas1.tCCz.pgrbfhh (roughly 22MB in size).

> Thanks,

I hope things are going well for you!

Ticket ID: DBP-515936
Department: Support Datastream