20060121: Public access of L2 NEXRAD data (cont.)

>From: Daryl Herzmann <address@hidden>

Hi Daryl,

Its been a long time since we communicated on NEXRAD Level II data
redistribution and use issues.  I apologize for the long delay,
but it was not caused by us...

There is now a PDF document linked prominently on the NOAA/Radar
Operations Center website:

http://www.roc.noaa.gov/NWS_Level_2/

that presents the template MOA between the NWS/NOAA and toplevel NEXRAD
Level II relay sites:

http://www.roc.noaa.gov/NWS_Level_2/Level_II_Template_MOA.pdf

Section III of this document, "III.  PURPOSE", states:

  "Level II data will be released without any prohibition for its
   redistribution or use."

The UPC intends to provide a link to the ROC website referenced above
in our webpage on Level II data:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/radar_data_2.html

The link is _not_ there yet, however.

Please read the entire NWS/NOAA template MOA carefully so that you
fully understand all aspects it presents.

re:  You previously wrote:
>Thanks for the update.  I would really appreciate if UNIDATA were to send
>something out on one of the public lists formally stating this.  I really
>want to avoid any misunderstandings with commercial vendors.

We will considering sending a note to a list like ldm-users advising
folks about the existence-of and information available-on the NOAA/ROC
website.

NOTE:  Please reference the NWS/NOAA document directly in any
communications you might have regarding Level II data redistribution
and use since it is the NWS' policy that is defined, not the
UPC's/Unidata's (i.e., please do not attribute/represent any portion of
what is written in the NWS/NOAA document to the UPC or the Unidata
community).  Thanks in advance!

I hope that the NWS/NOAA template MOA is the sort of document you
were looking for to clarify your questions regarding NEXRAD Level II

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Unidata Support wrote:

> Its been a long time since we communicated on NEXRAD Level II data
> redistribution and use issues.  I apologize for the long delay, but it
> was not caused by us...

No worries!  I am very relieved to see things handled thoroughly.

> Section III of this document, "III.  PURPOSE", states:
>
>  "Level II data will be released without any prohibition for its
>   redistribution or use."

Outstanding!

> We will considering sending a note to a list like ldm-users advising
> folks about the existence-of and information available-on the NOAA/ROC
> website.

That is a great place to send this info...

> NOTE:  Please reference the NWS/NOAA document directly in any
> communications you might have regarding Level II data redistribution and
> use since it is the NWS' policy that is defined, not the UPC's/Unidata's
> (i.e., please do not attribute/represent any portion of what is written
> in the NWS/NOAA document to the UPC or the Unidata community).  Thanks
> in advance!

You bet.

> I hope that the NWS/NOAA template MOA is the sort of document you were
> looking for to clarify your questions regarding NEXRAD Level II data
> redistribution and use.

I signed a similiar document back in the CRAFT days when I was getting my
data from OU.

This all will make me feel better :)

daryl

--