Snow reports dataset now available from MADIS

MADIS users,

We have recently added a new dataset to the MADIS database: Snow reports.
Reports of snow depth, new snowfall, and the snow water equivalent of
these observations are available from automated networks, and from
manual reports taken by volunteer observers.  For a list of the networks
currently available see http://madis.noaa.gov/snow_providers.html.

The automated networks currently include RAWS and a subset of the
networks that go into the MesoWest network.  In addition to networks
that are exclusively in the West and Alaska (e.g., SNOTEL), this also
includes the SCAN network which includes reports from the Upper
Midwest and the Northeast.

The volunteer observer networks currently include CWOP-snow
(http://madis.noaa.gov/snow_project.html) and GLOBE program (http://globe.gov/globe_flash.html). Later this winter we hopt to
add data from the CoCoRaHS project (http://www.cocorahs.org).

The MADIS API has also been upgraded to include the Snow dataset.
(version 3.0, just released).  For AWIPS users, the data have been
formatted in netCDF for display in D2D, and a customization package
(including instructions and the necessary customFiles files to be used
in the localization tasks) are provided; see README.snow in
awips/docs/ on our ftp server.

The snow data are in the "full distribution" category, so they're
available to any MADIS user via ftp or ldm.  Please contact me or
Patty Miller (address@hidden) if you're interested in
getting this dataset, and we'll send you the instructions on how to
access the data, and add you to the email list concerning the dataset.

Thanks,

Mike