20050713: Problem with GOES ADDE server (EAST) last week

>From:  Greg Stossmeister <address@hidden>

Hi Greg,

>   I know you must be busy preparing for the workshop next week. I
>wanted to ask you about the wisconsin full GOES-East ADDE server - I
>believe its called 'EAST'. I am currently running scripts to plot the NH
>sector. There was a substantial data outage last week between 14:45 on
>the 6th - 14:15 on the 8th of July. Would you have any idea what caused
>this outage?

I do not know the cause of the outage, but I did contact folks
at SSEC to take a look (after getting a noification from another
user about the dataset not being updated).

>It so happened that during that period Hurricane Dennis was
>moving along the Cuban coast and northward towards Florida. The reason I
>ask is that we will be supporting a hurricane rainband experiment in
>August and September and we will be supplying satellite data for
>operations use. I was going to use the Wisconsin feed but I'm concerned
>about its reliability when a significant hurricane approches the US.

I don't think that the outage had anything to do with the hurricane.

>Was
>this outage recently due to a large demand by users to access these data

I don't think so.  I have not overtly advertised the availability of
the full GOES data.  I have listed it on the Community Server list
on the Unidata McIDAS pages, however.

>and might this happen again during our project?

I do not knonw.

>If so, I need to use another source for the satellite data.

I am in a position to assure you that the machine, network, satellite
ingest, and ADDE server will stay up especially when I will continue
to be consumed by the imminent workshop.

>     Can you tell me anything about the recent outage or the reliability
>of this server in periods of high demand?

I don't think that the outage had anything to do with high demand.  As
far as reliability, the server machine itself has been up for 68 days
acting as a top level IDD relay.  The ADDE serving of the full
GOES-East/West data was setup by folks at SSEC who have access to both
unidata2 and the GOES ingest box that is providing the data.

One last thing.  We have a GOES-West ingest system almost ready
to go up at the Mesa.  After the workshop series, Mike and I will
be working to open this to the organization.  The next step after
that is to get a second system ingesting GOES-East data and
make that data available through ADDE.  Since we will have direct
control over those servers/ingests we will be more able to make
sure that the data is continuously available.

>Thanks,

Sorry for the problems...