Tom Yoksas wrote:
From:  Owen Cooper <address@hidden>

Hi Owen

Jim Steenburgh, the chairman of the Unidata Users Committee, sent a
request through Linda Miller of the UPC to me for information on your
request for delivery of POES data through the IDD.

First, let me assure you that the activity you propose is of great
interest to me personally, so I am motivated to help you find access
to the data you need!

The notion of delivering POES data through the IDD has been around for
several years.  Since the obstacles to distributing the data in this
manner are many -- cost for access to the data; choosing the coverage
to be delivered; etc. --, and since the demand for the data by the
Unidata user community has never been large, we elected to not actively
pursue delivery of POES data through the IDD.  Instead, we have been
working to encourage centers that have realtime POES data holdings to
make their holdings available free-of-charge to the research and
education community using remote access technologies (e.g., McIDAS ADDE
and OPeNDAP).

I made a plea for free and open access to POES and ultimately NPOESS
data at the NPOESS training meeting that was held in the COMET
facilities at the end of May.  I was pleased that my request for access
to the data for the education and research community was not taken
lightly.  I was most happy to see that Jim Gurka (NOAA/NESDIS, the
program chair for the GOES-R user conferences) was actively taking
notes and nodding his head in agreement while I outlined how opening
access to the data would spur its use in the Unidata university
community.

I can also report that I have been working with Volker Guertner, the
head of User Training at EUMETSAT to develop a strategy whose ultimate
goal is provision of free and open access to realtime EUMETSAT
satellite imagery.  This effort will likely take some time given the
rigid data policy currently in place at EUMETSAT, but we will continue
to try.

So, where does that leave your request?  The best I can offer, and I am
convinced that this will get you access to the data that you need, is
contact infomation for someone in NOAA that should be able to provide
you with an application for access to realtime POES, GOES, GMS
(currently GOES-9), and METEOSAT data from a McIDAS ADDE server at
SATEPS.  The information I am forwarding was given to me by a friend,
fellow McIDAS user, and MUG meeting regular, Brian Hughes: