20041215: NOAAPORT question

>From:  Gary Cunning <address@hidden>

Hi Gary,

re: missed message

>Yes, I did call your extension. I have a question about the NOAAPORT system,
>and you're the only person I have come across that knows about
>hardware/system.

I am not the only one in Unidata who is involved in the NOAAPORT system
at an intimate level :-).  The experts here are Steve Chiswell (ingest
software, but knows everything), and Mike Schmidt (hardware, but knows
everything).  I include myself in a list of people in the know since I
educated myself in order to be able to install a Unidata NOAAPORT system
at the Universidad de Costa.

>Do you know who is responsible for maintaining our NOAAPORT?

That would be Mike, Chiz, and myself.  Please remember, however, that
we tap off the NWS installation that was made for COMET.  The COMET
contact is Tim Alberta.

>The inflight icing group has been using the GINI satellite data from the
>NOAAPORT, and we are encountering corrupted EAST-CONUS and WEST-CONUS sector
>GINI files.

You say this like it is a continuous problem.  Is it?

>The files contain repeated blocks of scan lines.

How are you getting the data?

If you are using the LDM to get the NIMAGE feed, then it is possible
that you have more than one process FILEing or decoding the images into
the same output file.  I made this mistake at one point, and got the
same sort of thing that you are describing: images with repeated blocks
of scan lines.  After removing the redundant processing lines, the
images were once again correct.

>Based on
>comparisons with images from a NOAAPORT installed at the Aviation Weather
>Center, we think the problem is at our end. I have attached an image for
>illustration.

The image you sent along looks like it is the result of the situation I
describe above.  In order to verify that this is the case, I need to
know the day and time of this image, so I can check to see if it is
messed up on our systems.

Again, how are you getting the images?  If you are getting the images
through ADDE, it is probably the case that the system doing the ingesting
has the same problem that I refer to above.  If this is one of the
systems under our control, I would dearly love to fix the problem ASAP.

>Thanks for your help.

No worries.  We'll get to the bottom of this...