20041012: nexrad radar request

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Hi Randy,

>i am looking for radar data (NEXRAD/BREF1) that i can display in McIDAS for
>the following dates and radar sites.
>
>24 and 25 January 2000 at 0,3,6,9,12,18,21 UTC
>
>KJAX,KLWX,KRAX,KRNK,KAKQ,KDOX,KVAX,KJGX,CLX,LTX,KMHX,KFFC,KGSP,KCAE,KFCX,
>KDIX,KOKX,KBOX,KCCX
>
>Can ssec or unidata provide this data to me.

I am sorry that we (Unidata) can't help you directly on this request,
but since we don't maintain data archives, we don't have this data
on our systems.

I can suggest two alternatives:

- you try to get this data either from NCDC (www.ncdc.noaa.gov)

- subscribe to the Unidata-maintained email list 'needdata' and post
  your request there.

You must subscribe to the list before posting since we restrict posts
to subscribed members to keep spams out of the list.

You can (un)subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list online
at:

If you decide to subscribe to repost your message, please wait until
you have received notification of being added to the list before
your post.

>thanks,

No worries.

>From address@hidden  Wed Oct 13 06:19:25 2004

thanks Tom, i got it from ncdc!

Randy

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:08:08 -0500
From: McIDAS Help Desk <address@hidden>

Hi Tom,

I sent this information off to Randy:

Hi Randy,

You have good timing.  Just yesterday I found out that NCDC provides
level 3 radar data free of charge.  The data can be served up using the
nexrad servers.  You have to rename the files and put them into the
correct location on your XCD server. After that you can use IMGDISP.

Here's the link:

http://has.ncdc.noaa.gov/plclimprod/plsql/HAS.DsSelect

Here's some general instructions - you'll have to modify to make it more
site specific.

Uncompress and untar the files you get from NCDC.

I renamed the files with the following McBASI program:

open "mso.lis",10

10 input @10,a$
   if mid$(a$,1,4) = EOF$ stop
   h$ = "msx_" + mid$(a$,20,8) + "_" + mid$(a$,28,4) + ".n0r"
   print h$
   keyin "OS {mv /home/rickk/radar/"; a$ ;" /home/rickk/radar/"; h$ ;"}"
   goto 10

Note that mso.lis was created using ls -1 of the files from NCDC. Also,
I was only dealing with one site, so you'll need to modify as necessary.

Next goto your xcd machine and view the file ~oper/mcidas/data/NEXRID.CFG.
You should be able to find the location of the nexrad files.

Ours looks something like this:
/home/mcidas/data/NEXRAD/MKX/NOR/mkx_20010101_1230.n0r

Since you are dealing with multiple sites, you'll have a fair amout of
setup.

Rick