20040815: Composite Radar Problems? (cont.)

>From: Tom McDermott <address@hidden>

Hi Tom,

re: coding mistake

>Gee, that reminds me of similar errors I've made in the past. :-)

Yea, it was one of those "doh" moments...

>By "new software" I meant the GEMPAK 5.7.2p2 software, which I believe is
>innocent in this regard.

I understand.  I was talking about a new version of the McIDAS GRIB
to AREA converter.

>From your message on Thursday I understood that
>the problem was with the MCIDAS GRIB-->AREA converter whose output is then
>disseminated on the IDD.

Right.  Aside from the floater navigation flip, the error was in
not setting AREA header words that are needed by GEMPAK/GARP.

>I turned off the generation of the composites for the duration of the
>problem.

OK.  Are you getting the full 1 km national composite images?

>Since reenabling, I'm now able to display the 6km National and
>1km Floater.  None of the 10km National RCMs have come in yet, but I
>assume they're OK as well.  If not, I will let you know.

Sounds good.

>I guess the timing of this was not ideal since it caused us to miss
>Charley's onslaught in the composites.

The 1 km national N0R composite product was not affected.  The products
that were affected were the 1 km floater N0R, the 6 km national N0R,
and the 10 km RCM composite.  The thing about the affected images is
that they can be modified to use in GEMPAK by writing the appropriate
words into the image header that GEMPAK needs.

From my perspective, the good news is that the 1 km national composite
has all of the data at full resolution and was available throughout the
hurricane's life cycle.

>I wonder if it would be possible
>to obtain images in this format somewhere.

I am sure that someone out there was saving the images (and the header
omissions can be added back to make them usable by GEMPAK).  If they
weren't saving the images but were saving the GRIB messages that they
were created from, then the images can be (re)generated from the GRIB
messages.  The other thing to consider is that GEMPAK can display the
GRIB message "images" directly.

>At any rate, thanks for the quick fix.

No worries.  Sorry for the problems.

>From address@hidden  Mon Aug 16 05:53:20 2004

re: OK.  Are you getting the full 1 km national composite images?

>I don't think so.  The 3 I mentioned is all we're getting I believe.
>BTW, the 10km national RCM is displaying fine as well.

re: 1km national composite not effected

>Since 1km N0R wasn't affected, I'm assuming it's not in AREA format.

re: GEMPAK can display the GRIB producs directly