20040526: UNIWISC Satellite imagery processing (cont.)

>From: "Daniel Leins" <address@hidden>

Dan,

>I have attached the section of my pqact file that is responsible for
>pulling in my satellite data.

OK.

> From what I can see, it is successfully bringing in VIS/WV/IR data and
>decoding it accordingly, as I am able to access it in Garp.  However,
>like I mentioned before, it only comes in once per hour, on the 15's.

>I also attached the section of my ldmd.conf file that requests the
>UNIWISC (MCIDAS) feed.  It doesn't look like anything is wrong with it
>in particluar, but I included everything below for another set of eyes
>to look at, it always helps for someone to take a fresh look at a problem.

Your ldmd.conf request action is correct, it does request all
images from the UNIWISC feed.

Your pqact.conf entries for decoding the imagery only processes
the images for hour quarter 1 (Q1).  This is why you are not seeing
the images in the second half hour.  The solution is to change your
pqact.conf entries.  Here is an example of one of the changes you
need to make:

change:

# Vis (0.65 um)
MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q1 (U[^ACXY1]) (.*) (.*)_IMG (0.65)um (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        decoders/pnga2area -vl logs/ldm-mcidas.log
        -a etc/SATANNOT
        -b etc/SATBAND
        data/gempak/images/sat/\3/\5/VIS/VIS_\6_\7

to:

# Vis (0.65 um)
MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q. (U[^ACXY1]) (.*) (.*)_IMG (0.65)um (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        decoders/pnga2area -vl logs/ldm-mcidas.log
        -a etc/SATANNOT
        -b etc/SATBAND
        data/gempak/images/sat/\3/\5/VIS/VIS_\6_\7

The change is:

Q1 -> Q.

Make the same change for all MCIDAS pnga2area pqact.conf entries and
then check to make sure that you did not make any typographical
mistakes:

ldmadmin pqactcheck

If no errors are indicated, you can either send a HUP signal to pqact
to reread pqact.conf:

ldmadmin pqactHUP

or you can stop and restart your LDM:

ldmadmin stop
<wait until all LDM processes have exited>
ldmadmin start

>I will get in touch with my upstream feed to see if they are indeed
>requesting all of the data.

I just looked at the real time stats pages for the 'volume' of
UNIWISC data that weather3.admin.niu.edu is requesting:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?UNIWISC+weather3.admin.niu.edu

and it is everything.

>Looking at the NIMAGE stats, that's way too
>much data, more than I would ever need.

OK.

>That's a route I won't be
>taking.  You also mentioned that maybe I am bringing in all of the data,
>but not processing all of it.

Yes.

>How would I determine this, and if this
>is the case, what do I do from there?

See comments above.

>I haven't seen any problems with other products and pnga2area.

Your pqact.conf entries for MCIDAS images were not incorrect per se.
They were just setup to decode only a portion of the images.  To
see all of the images that you are receiving, use the LDM 'notifyme'
command:

<as 'ldm'>
notifyme -vxl- -f UNIWISC -o 10000

This will list out the headers for the UNIWISC images you received
in the last 10000 seconds.  There will be 10000 seconds worth of
searching if your LDM queue is large enough to hold 10000 seconds
of the data you are ingesting.  If your queue is not large enough,
the oldest product you will list will be reflective of the size
of your queue.