20040407: port 112 access on papagayo (cont.)

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Clint,

>I'd love to, but I don't know how!  We don't (to my knowledge) have a
>firewall on papagayo.

OK.  Hmm... you are using NIS, aren't you?  Could it be that you
have to do something in NIS to allow access to certain processes
on certain ports?  The non-NIS user sets up ADDE access by running
a shell script as 'root' from the ~mcidas directory;  The current
shell is mcinet2003.sh.  This script was run on papagayo, and so
entries were added to /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services.  I
seem to vaguely (CRS) recall that you have to do something different
on papagayo because of your use of NIS.  Am I remembering this
correctly?

>PS Nice to hear from you even if it's only about a problem.

When are you coming out to Boulder next?

>From address@hidden  Wed Apr  7 10:21:17 2004

Tom,

Yeah, we're running NIS+ and maybe that's the problem.  I don't remember
what I had to do differently when we set up 500 and 503 (or that I had to do
anything), but I'll look into it.

I might be coming this summer if I can figure out how to pay for the MM5/WRF
user's conference.

Clint