20040116: Satellite broadcast you mentioned at AMS

>From:  Mike Voss <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

>I recall at AMS you mentioned some information about a capability on
>the horizon involving very inexpensive satellite broadcast and
>reception (DTV?) of Met data.

Yes, the NWS is in the early processess of transitioning the NOAAPORT
broadcast to DVB-S (Digital Video Broadcast - Satellite) technology.
This is the same technology used by things like DirectTV and Echostar.
It is also used by EUMETSAT for rebroadcast of MSG (Meteosat Second
Generation) data.

>You mentioned that you guys actually are
>running it now at Unidata.

Yes, we have put together the needed hardware (NOVRA S75 receiver;
approx. $320), software (one routine to read from the multicast UDP
sent by the NOVRA unit another to read the output of that read and
create products and insert then into an LDM queue), hardware (PC
running either Linux or Solaris x86 right now, but this could be
anything with an ethernet connection), and a C-band satellite dish and
associated electronics (LNB and low impedence coax cable).  We will
publish (web pages and perhaps a newsletter article) what we did and
how any site can take advantage of the software we will make available
free-of-charge.

>Would you know of a source where I might
>find more information on this.....I don't even know what to call
>it....NOAAPORT replacement/substitute maybe?

I don't know what the official term for this is, but it will be the
NOAAPORT broadcast in the not too distant future.  NOAA announcements
have indicated that the current broadcast will continue until some time
in 2006.  The vacated GOES-West channel has been used for the test of
the DVB-S broadcast to date.  Sometime after the test is completed (and
it should be by now since the NWS began their testing on Januayr 5),
the vacated GOES-West channel will be populated with a new stream known
as NWSTG2.  NOAA needs to issue an RFP for provision of a full
transponder on a satellite to carry the DVB-S broadcast.

>And what the time frame is on it's deployment?

Phil Cragg of NOAA has told me in phone conversations that the desire
is to move to an operational DVB-S broadcast as soon as possible, but
he would not commit to any timeframe since the testing had not yet
begun when we talked.  I suspect that the process of procuring the
transponder will take several months, but the starting of the broadcast
will be quick after that is done.  I would assume that the DVB-S
broadcast will be operational sometime this summer, hopefully earlier
than later.

>I started telling someone about this and realized I
>had no idea what I was talking about (nothing new).

Not many people have been paying attention to this.  I jumped on it
because it has possibilities far beyond the units that are populating
the IDD with NOAAPORT data.  In particular, this technology would be
a cheap way for any university in the footprint of the broadcasting
satellite to get the NOAAPORT data.  I am thinking not only of US
universities, but also sites in Central America and the Caribbean
(my MeteoForum hat).

>Thanks, have a great weekend,

You too.

>From address@hidden Tue Jan 20 22:50:31 2004

Tom,

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I feel priveleged to get such
quality information.

-Mike