20031231: ftp access to data on motherlode

>From: "Jordan Gerth" <address@hidden>

Jordan,

>Institution: WiscWx Weather Forecasting (non-profit)
>Package Version: General
>Operating System: RedHat Linux 8.0
>Hardware Information: Pentium III, 256 MB RAM
>Inquiry: I am seeking the password for Unidata's 'Motherlode' server in order
>to download decoded model data files (in netCDF format).
>
>All downloads would be manual and only a few times per week.
>
>If you have questions about how I would use the data, or know of a different
>way I could obtain model data similar to what 'Motherlode' offers, please let
>me know.

I am sorry that we can not give you the access you are seeking.  We can
suggest that you establish a relationship with a Unidata university
that is near to you and see if they would be willing to allow you to
get realtime data through an IDD connection (using the Unidata LDM).
You could then decode the model data that you ingest into netCDFs using
our netCDF decoders package.

The other alternative is for you to see if a Unidata university would
be willing for you to download model data already decoded into netCDFs
from their site.  The best way to make this inquiry is to subscribe to
the needdata email list that we maintain, and then send an inquiry to
the list asking for help.

You can (un)subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list online
at:

If you decide to subscribe to repost your inquiry, please wait until
you have received notification of being added to the list before
your post.

Another possibility, if you don't need the data in realtime, is to
get the data from the Scientific Computing Division of NCAR.  Our
HomePage has an article announcing the access to IDD model data
through NCAR/SCD.  You should check this out to see if it could
suite your needs:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/

>Thank you for your consideration.
>Jordan Gerth