20031010: GOES imagery archives

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Gudrun,

Mohan Ramamurthy asked me to contact you regarding the availability of
GOES satellite imagery for a project you have in mind.  My understanding
is that you are looking for a site that potentially has several years
of images available for browsing.  The best site that I can find for
such a browse archive is at the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC):

NCDC Historical GOES Browse Server
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/servlets/GoesBrowser

The above web page notes:

  The National Climatic Data Centers HISTORICAL GOES BROWSE SERVER is
  unique compared to other sites offering satellite images, in that it
  provides a growing archive of on-line Geostationary Operational
  Environmental Satellite (GOES) retrospective images. It is primarily
  intended to aid researchers performing long term atmospheric studies
  involving satellite imagery. Browse imagery covering the Northern
  Hemisphere are available from December 14, 1996 up to the present.
  Prior to December 14, 1996, full earth browse imagery are available
  back to July 01, 1992. All full earth imagery have been provided by the
  Space Science and Engineering Center of the University of Wisconsin.

There are other online resources that have varying length archives of
GOES imagery (e.g., GEOSTATIONARY SATELLITE SERVER <http://www.goes.noaa.gov/>),
but none seem to go back as far as the NCDC archive.

Is the above the kind of information you were looking for?  If not, please
let me know some specifics of your research objective, and I will see if
I can come up with better sites for you to get data.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Fri Oct 10 11:17:57 2003

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the information.  I will forward this message to
Chia-chi Wang, a PhD student who is doing a climatology of ITCZ
breakdown events in the tropical East Pacific.  She may have more
detailed questions so it would be best if she could communicate directly
with you.  Thanks again.

Gudrun