20030719: Proposed changes in the Unidata-Wisconsin data stream (cont.)

>From: "Tom & Carol Dempsey" <address@hidden>

Hi Dave,

>I have no problem with the proposed additions to and expansions of the
>Unidata-Wisconsin data stream. I'm excited about some of them and I'm
>sure we'll be able to take advantage of them locally.

Another user proposed the inclusion of the GOES-West southern scans to
increase the areal coverage of the  western sectors.  What are your
thoughts on this?  Inclusion of larger western sectors would result in
approx. 81 MB/hr increase in disk usage if one decided to ingest all
bands for all times.

>I will note, though, that I was disappointed that the addition/expansion
>didn't include the #1 item on my own wish list--namely, higher spatial
>resolution for the visible (and possibly IR) images.

The IR channels are being sent at their full resolution, 4 km (8 km for
GOES-West WV).  The VIS GOES-East compostie is on the order of 61 MB
for each time period.  The corresponding 1 km VIS for the existing
GOES-West sector would be 38.4 MB.  I felt that it would be smarter to
send out 4 km VIS sectors in the broadcast while making the full
resolution data available by remote ADDE access.  The remote access
will be announced when the last couple of kinks are ironed out.

>I'm sure this was
>debated by the Users Committee and rejected in favor of the other
>proposed additions/expansions, possibly in response at least in part to
>input from the last community survey, but I am curious why increased
>temporal resolution, spatial coverage, wavelength coverage, and WV
>spatial resolution won out over increased visible and IR resolution.

The above additions had been on the table for many years.  Given the
recent advances in the LDM/IDD, I felt that it was now possible to
reliably ship the increased data to sites to serve as the baseline of
their datasets.  Again, the full resolution data _including_ sounder
channels will be made available to all Unidata sites through remote
ADDE access.  This does not mean, however, that one will have to use
McIDAS to access the data.  The IDV was designed from its beginnings to
be ADDE-enabled, and we will also be making available a small,
standalone, ADDE-enabled Java program for sites that want to create
their own sectors on the fly.  The addition of the unremapped GOES
sectors is in addition to the NOAAPORT GINI images that already have 1
km VIS sectors (both East and West) and are already available by remote
ADDE access.

By the way, the proposed changes are not set in stone.  I sent out
the request for comment to get user reactions like yours.