20030423: GEM regional model data from CMC on LDM (cont.)

>From: Yves Pelletier <address@hidden>

Hi Yves,

>Thank you for providing Garry with additional information concerning our
>GRIB data feed to Unidata.\

My pleasure.

>I have a couple of follow-up questions:
>
>1.  If we changed our local file-naming convention for the files we send
>via ldm, would this affect the users?  My current understanding is that
>the file name is unimportant because meta-information is gathered at the
>receiving end only from the GRIB headers.

The names of the files on your local machine make no difference as long
as you are not using the file name(s) as part of the product headers
being sent by the LDM.  In looking at the headers on the current GEM
products, it appears that the  IDD headers are, in fact, the names of
the files from your local system, or, at least, are based on the names
of the files on your local system.  Changing these would mean that any
site that is feeding the GEM data might have to change their LDM
pattern-action configuration file, pqact.conf, entries for your data.
If you are intent on making the changes, you will need to announce
those changes to the community in advance of the changes so that folks
can make appropriate changes to their pqact actions.

>2.  Once we are certain about the specifics, I will draft an
>announcement for the users, concerning the increased number of levels
>and corresponding data volume increase.   Who should I send this to?

If you are subscribed to the ldm-users email list that we maintain,
you can send your announcement to it <address@hidden>.
You must, however, be subscribed to this (and any other list) before
you can post to it.  You can subscribe to Unidata-maintained email
lists at:

Please do not post to the list before getting confirmation that you
have been added to the list.

If you don't want to post the announcement yourself, you can send
it to Unidata User Support <address@hidden> and we will
send it along for you.  It is up to you...

>Thank you for your assistance

No worries.