20030307: NEXRAD Level II data format (cont.)

>From: "Tim D Crum" <address@hidden>

Hi Tim,

re: format of NEXRAD Level II data

>There are two answers, depending on whether you are looking at Level II
>data recorded on tape or transmitted electronically.

The links you provided are very helpful.  Thank you for the quick response!

Regarding your comment about station information in volume scan data:

  "For tape-recorded Level II data, at the start of each volume scan a
  header record is appended that provides metadata that contains site
  info and site performance information.  That being said, the data
  transmitted in real time does not have the metadata.  Until the
  spring of 2004, that will be the case for all electronically
  transmitted data.  In spring 2004 the metadata will be added to the
  Level II data stream."

We are pleased that the station and performance metadata will
eventually be included along with the scan data, but we are wondering
if the schedule for adding it could be accelerated?  It would be most
useful to our display and anaylsis developers to be able to interrogate
dataset elements to obtain this information directly and not have to
rely on conventions like file naming/directory storage to determine the
location of the data.  Our goal is to develop and mature our packages
using CRAFT data and then have a seamless transition to the eventual
NWS datastream.

Again, thank you for your timely response.

>1.  For tape the ROC web page (
>http://www.roc.noaa.gov/ssb/cm/icd_downloads.asp) has information on
>how to obtain the Interface Control Document (ICD):
>
>ICD:   2620010
>BUILD:   10.0
>Build 10.0: This document defines the NEXRAD Archive II Interface. It
>describes Archive II hardware and software interfaces and provides user
>information on the format of some of the data stored on tape. This
>archival storage system can interface with either the RDA Status and
>Control (RDASC) Processor (CI-05) for read/write operations under
>CPCI-01 and CPCI-03 program control, or the read operations under
>CPCI-24 program control.
>
>2.  For electronically transmitted data:
>The ROC web page ( http://www.roc.noaa.gov/ssb/cm/icd_downloads.asp)
>has information on how to obtain the Interface Control Document (ICD):
>ICD:   2620008A OPEN BUILD:   1.0 Open Build 1.0: This document defines
>the interface providing base data from an RDA (Radar Data Acquisition)
>or RPG (Radar Produce Generation group) Computer to a User site.
>
>For tape-recorded Level II data, at the start of each volume scan a
>header record is appended that provides metadata that contains site
>info and site performance information.  That being said, the data
>transmitted in real time does not have the metadata.  Until the spring
>of 2004, that will be the case for all electronically transmitted
>data.  In spring 2004 the metadata will be added to the Level II data
>stream.
>
>Have I confused you now?  If so, call me at 405-366-6510 ext 1231.
>

>Tim
>

>Unidata Support wrote:
>
>> >From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Can you point us in the direction of comprehensive information on the
>> format of the NEXRAD Level II data?  Also, do you know if pertinent
>> station information in the data itself (e.g., station ID, lat, lon,
>> elevation, etc.)?
>>
>> Thanks in advance...

Tom Yoksas