20030203: McIDAS - Linux -Accessing archived Unidata wisconsin data stream (cont.)

>From: Arlene Laing <address@hidden>

Arlene,

>I am still trying to ftp to unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu but with no
>success.  The same message pops up "Failed to open a securefile transfer
>session".

The problem is likely on your end since I am able to FTP to the machine
from machines here at the UPC and from two user sites: University of
Nebraska-Lincoln and U Miami/RSMAS (I just tried the FTPs from both
of these schools, and they both worked).

The tipoff that the problem is on your end is the comment about
opening a 'securefile transfer'.  If the FTP server on the other end
was denying you the connection, it will use other terms.

>I am using userid "XXXXXX"  password "XXXXXX".  These were what I had
>used up to last year.  Have those changed?

These are the correct user name and password.

I would recommend that you try the FTP from a different machine and
possibly a machine that is not in your local area network.  When
Shelly gets back from the RedHat network training, she should be able
to figure out exactly what in your network is preventing the FTP.
It may well be the case that you will need to use 'ncftp' to get
through a firewall in your department/on your campus.

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Feb  3 09:43:13 2003

Thanks Tom,

I will try your suggestions.

Arlene

>From address@hidden Mon Feb  3 15:55:21 2003

Hi Tom,

Problem solved by your recommendation.  It was caused by the way SSH was
set up on the computer that I was using.

Thanks,
Arlene