Re: A question

>From: "Tsui, Dr. Ted" <address@hidden>
>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20020412: A question [about lightning data]
>Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:09:23 -0700

Hi Ted,

>       Have not talked to you for a long time.  I am shooting in the dark,
> and hope that you will point me to the "right" person.  Don't know if you
> know, we also have a LDM now pointing at U. of Oklahoma and UC San Diego and
> getting radar data (Level II and III).  We love it and you can say that we
> are true believers now.

That's great, I'm glad to hear you're finding the LDM useful.

>       We are also interested in lightning data and Naval Research
> Laboratory is not a university.  How do we go about in getting the data?
> Can you point me to the right person?

Global Atmospherics, Inc., makes lightning data available to
universities for teaching and research only, with no redistribution
allowed for any purpose.  So the Naval Postgraduate School could
probably get access to the data, but not the NRL.

The data is distributed from SUNY Albany to university sites via the
LDM, and the contact is Dr. David Knight of the Department of
Atmospheric Sciences, <address@hidden>.  I doubt that there
is any way you can get access to the data that way, so it might be
necessary to contact Global Atmospherics directly.  Their web site is:

 http://www.LightningStorm.com

However, if you do contact Global Atmospherics, please observe the
recommendation in this message about mention of the agreement to
provide free data to Unidata universities:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/58/1891

Thanks.  Hope things are going well with you.

--Russ