20020401: 1 km NEXRAD composite base reflectivity product

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave,

>I understand that there is a 1 km national radar composite product
>available.

This product has not been announced yet.  The main reason for this is
that I have not finished writing the PNG to GINI conversion routine
needed to unpack the image.  The new routine will be part of the
ldm-mcidas distribution that I can _hopefully_ make available by
the end of this week or sometime the next.

>Could you point me to whre I can learn more about the product and the
>decoders/programs needed to view it?

We don't have a web page on it yet; the decoder is in the process of
being written; but you can view it right now with McIDAS:

Here is the ADDE server info setup for the dataset NEXRCOMP:

Descriptor  Product                    Decoded file size  Frequency    Feed
-----------+--------------------------+------------------+------------+--------
10KRCM-NAT  10 km national RCM           166880 bytes     30      min  FNEXRAD
1KN0R-FLT   1 km regional floater N0R    361280 bytes     7 - 10  min  FNEXRAD
6KN0R-NAT   6 km national N0R            401280 bytes     7 - 10  min  FNEXRAD
1KN0R-NAT   1 km national N0R          14208533 bytes     10 - 15 min  NIMAGE

Here are the servers for this data (so far):

cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu
pscwx.plymouth.edu
stratus.al.noaa.gov
papagayo.unl.edu
atm.geo.nsf.gov
adde.ucar.edu

Add the location of the dataset:

DATALOC ADD NEXRCOMP pscwx.plymouth.edu
DSINFO IMAGE NEXRCOMP

IMGDISP NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-NAT STA=TWX MAG=-6 EU=BREF24 REFRESH='EG;MAP H;BAR'

from this pick out an area of activity, like:

IMGDISP NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-NAT LATLON=32 84 MAG=1 EU=BREF24 REFRESH='EG;MAP H;BAR'

For best viewing results, grab:

MDR.ET    <- slightly modified MDR enhancement for use with MDR and 10KRCM-NAT
BREF24.ET <- 24 level enhancement for use with NEXRCOMP N0R composites
BREF24.ST <- stretch table to match BREF24.ET; you can get by without this

from the pub/mcidas/data directory of anonymous FTP on our FTP server,
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.

>Thanks!
>Dave

Tom Yoksas