20020311: data for weather radars for aviation safety

>From: Alpa Sachde <address@hidden>

Alpa,

>        I am a student of University of Texas at
>Arlington. I am doing a simulation of weather radar
>systems for aviation safety. I am unable to find data
>for weather radars in a fashion that I can take the
>data, process it.

I don't really know what you mean by this.  Is it the case that you can
find NEXRAD data, but you can't read it, or is it the case that you
can't find NEXRAD data to use?  If the answer is that you can find the
data but you don't know how to  read it, then there is not much we can
do to help.

>If you could please help me out by
>giving a link as to where I would get this data that
>would be great. Hoping for your kind consideration.

Some useful links:

A Unidata web page that contains useful links for NEXRAD Level III radar
data and a couple of the links it contains is:

NOAAPORT NEXRAD (NNEXRAD)
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/feedtypes/nnexrad.html

  FTP-accessible radar products descriptions
  http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radfiles.html

  FTP directory containing NEXRAD data
  ftp://weather.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/

The NOAAPORT Users Page maintained by NOAA is:

NOAAPORT HomePage
http://205.156.54.206/noaaport/html/noaaport.shtml
  Sample Products
  http://205.156.54.206/noaaport/html/samples.shtml

An NWS page that may contain some useful decoding software is:

Encoding and Decoding Software
http://205.156.54.206/tdl/iwt/index.htm#table

Other than this, it is useful to do Google (tm) searches using
'NEXRAD +FTL' as a search key.

Tom Yoksas