20020310: NEXRAD Level III Composite Data (cont.)

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Jim,

re: atm not back up yet

>I guess that I spoke too pematurely on atm.geo.nsf.gov. From my ldmd.log
>earlier this morning, it looked like it was back online, but I see now
>that it is not.

re: prune_nexrcomp.csh script should remove directories if empty

>I guess it does! It deleted the directories that I re-created. I still
>don't know why it deleted the directories that still contained data
>through the period when atm.nsf.geo.gov went down.

prune_nexrcomp.csh also is looking to see if the files are more than
a day old.  I really wasn't thinking of this when you told me that you
were going to increase the number of files kept to 360.

>I will probably setup
>my own scour routine for this, since I don't want to lose an entire
>directory with data.

I uploaded a different script, scour_bynumber.csh, into your decoders
directory to use in place of prune_nexrcomp.csh.  The invocation syntax
for scour_bynumber.csh is:

scour_bynumber.csh directory pattern [number]

scour_bynumber.csh scours files in a 'directory' that match a name
'patter' so that the number left on disk is less than equal to
'number'.  The number of files to keep can be specified on the invocation
command line or set inside the script.

I added 4 crontab entries on pscwx that will scour the individual
NEXRAD composite directories:

/huge/nowrad/6KN0R-NAT
/huge/nowrad/1KN0R-FLT
/huge/nowrad/10KRCM-NAT
/huge/nowrad/1KN0R-NAT

The scouring will not delete the directory and does not care what the
timestamp on the files to be scoured is.

>I have a way of doing this in a very short script
>using the unix "find" command that seems to be very safe and very
>efficient. I use this on my NIDS data and it scours all the NIDS
>directories in a matter of seconds, versus Dan Vietor's suggested NIDS
>scour routine for NOAAPort which sometimes can take 10 or more minutes.
>I'll just wait for data to flow again to build and populate the
>directories.

OK, if you like how scour_bynumber.csh works, then keep it.  If not,
replace it with your own.

re: satellite internet

>I heard that with the dish the problem is that uploads go via landline.
>This makes the downloads fast, but typing to terminals, etc. slow.

With DirecWay (DirecPC renamed; this is Hughes), you have two options:

o satellite downlink and telephone dial-up uplink
o two way satellite communications

The first option is reasonably inexpensive for the hardware (Circuit City
sells the units for less than $200).

The second option is reasonably pricey.  Since each user operates an
uplink site, professional installation is required (by the FCC no
less).  That coupled with the hardware you have to buy puts the
installation cost up over $600.  The monthly charge for the service is
currently at $79.95, and you have to signup for a minimum of 4 months,
AND they make no guarantee about uplink/downlink speeds other than they
will be less than certain rates (downlink was originally said to be
less than or equal to 400 Kbps with uplink of less than or equal to 128
Kbps; the latest I heard was <= 1.5 Mbps down and still <= 128 Kbps up).

Tom

>From address@hidden Mon Mar 11 09:50:33 2002
>Subject: atm.geo.nsf.gov still down

Hello,

I thought that atm.geo.nsf.gov would come back up this morning when
people got back to work, but as of 11:50 AM (EST), I still can't ping
the machine.

Jim
--
James P. Koermer             E-Mail: address@hidden
Professor of Meteorology     Office Phone: (603)535-2574