20020301: Format of NNEXRAD

>From: "Anton Kruger" <address@hidden>

Anton,

>A while ago we set up IDD/LDM and have been receiving NNEXRAD (xxxN0R, etc.)
>products.  The files have extension .raw.

The name of the file that is created by the LDM is something you setup in
the FILE action for those products in the LDM configuration file,
~ldm/etc/pqact.conf.

>Are these Level III files?

Yes.  They are the NEXRAD Level III products that are in the NOAAPORT
broadcast.

>Do I
>need Gempack?

Both the Unidata-distributed software packages GEMPAK and McIDAS can display
these data files.

>Is the format describes somewhere?

Yes, in NOAA documents.  Try doing a web search on NOAAPORT NEXRAD.

>I have installed the "decoders" package and have netCDF installed.

The decoders package has no decoder for these products.  Both of the
display and analysis packages we distribute support display of these
products with no decoding.

>Anton Kruger
>Associate Research Engineer
>IIHR (www.iihr.uiowa.edu), The University of Iowa