20010926: VAD data question (fwd)

>From: Celia Chen <address@hidden>

Celia,

>Have we started receiving the VAD data from NOAAPORT yet?

No.  The delay in NWS sending the new products was announced through the
nws-changes email list on the 20th:

  Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 06:42:31 -0600
  From: Linda Miller <address@hidden>
  To: address@hidden
  Subject: 20010920: Radar data delayed-DATA MGT MESSAGE 09-01.06 RADAR
PRODUCTS ADDITION TO NOAAPORT DELAYED (fwd)

  TO  FAMILY OF SERVICES SUBSCRIBERS AND NOAAPORT USERS

  FROM  DATA DISSEMINATION BRANCH

  SUBJECT  RADAR PRODUCTS ADDITION TO NOAAPORT DELAYED

  THIS IS A FOLLOW UP TO FOS/NOAAPORT NOTICE NO. 1955C
  DATED JULY 13... 2001.

  THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ADDITION OF 11 NEW DOPPLER
  WEATHER SURVEILLANCE RADAR /WSR-88D/ PRODUCTS TO THE
  NOAAPORT SATELLITE BROADCAST IS NOW PLANNED TO BE
  COMPLETED BY THE END OF NOVEMBER 2001.  THE TWO MONTH
  DELAY FROM THE EARLIER ANNOUNCED END OF SEPTEMBER DATE
  IS DUE TO DELAYS IN THE NWS INSTALLATIONS OF THE
  PREREQUISITE SOFTWARE RELEASE AT ITS SITES.  A FINAL
  NOTIFICATION GIVING THE EXACT DATE OF THE PLANNED
  PRODUCT ADDITIONS WILL BE ISSUED AT LEAST TEN DAYS IN
  ADVANCE.

  NINE OF THE 11 PRODUCTS TO BE ADDED ARE CURRENTLY
  INCLUDED IN THE SET OF RADAR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE FROM
  THE RADAR PRODUCT CENTRAL COLLECTION/DISTRIBUTION
  SERVICE /RPCCDS/.  THE 56/SRM 2.40 AND 56/SRM 3.35
  DEGREE ELEVATION PRODUCTS... AS NOTED BELOW... WILL BE
  ADDED TO THE RPCCDS AS WELL AS TO NOAAPORT.

  WITH THE ADDITION OF THESE PRODUCTS TO NOAAPORT THEIR
  CURRENT WMO HEADERS /SDUS6I/ WILL CHANGE... AS NOTED IN
  THE LISTING BELOW.

  RPG       NEW WMO
  HEADER    HEADER    PRODUCT
  19/R      SDUS2I CCCC
             N1RXXX    BASE REFLECTIVITY - 124 NMI
                       RANGE /1.45/1.50 DEGREES ELEVATION
                       ANGLE/
  19/R      SDUS2I CCCC
             N2RXXX    BASE REFLECTIVITY - 124 NMI RANGE
                       /2.40/2.50
                       DEGREES ELEVATION ANGLE/
  19/R      SDUS3I CCCC
             N3RXXX    BASE REFLECTIVITY - 124 NMI RANGE
                       /3.35/3.50 DEGREES ELEVATION ANGLE/
  20/R      SDUS7I CCCC
             N0ZXXX    BASE REFLECTIVITY - 248 NMI RANGE
                       /0.50 DEGREE ELEVATION ANGLE/
  27/V      SDUS7I CCCC
             N1VXXX    BASE RADIAL VELOCITY - 124 NMI
                       RANGE /1.45/1.50 DEGREES ELEVATION
                       ANGLE/
  41/ET     SDUS7I CCCC
             NETXXX    ECHO TOPS /ONLY AVAILABLE IN
                       PRECIP. MODE/
  48/VWP    SDUS3I CCCC
             NVWXXX    VELOCITY AZIMUTH DISPLAY /VAD/ WIND
                       PROFILE
  56/SRM    SDUS2I CCCC
             N1SXXX    STORM RELATIVE MEAN RADIAL VELOCITY
                       /1.45 DEGREES ELEVATION ANGLE/
                       /ONLY AVAILABLE IN PRECIP. MODE/
  56/SRM    SDUS2I CCCC /NOTE ALSO AN ADDITION TO THE
             N2SXXX      RPCCDS/
                       STORM RELATIVE MEAN RADIAL VELOCITY
                       /2.40 DEGREES ELEVATION ANGLE/
                       /ONLY AVAILABLE IN PRECIP.MODE/
  56/SRM    SDUS3I CCCC /NOTE ALSO AN ADDITION TO THE
             N3SXXX      RPCCDS/
                       STORM RELATIVE MEAN RADIAL VELOCITY
                       /3.35 DEGREES ELEVATION ANGLE/
                       /ONLY AVAILABLE IN PRECIP. MODE/
  78/OHP    SDUS3I CCCC
             N1PXXX    SURFACE RAINFALL ACCUMULATION - ONE
                       HOUR RUNNING TOTAL
                       /ONLY AVAILABLE IN PRECIP. MODE/

  FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT RONALD SMITH OR
  VICO BAER AT 301-713-0070 OR
  E-MAIL  VICO.BAER/AT SYMBOL/NOAA.GOV AND
           RONALD.SMITH/AT SYMBOL/NOAA.GOV

  FOR FOS/NOAAPORT QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT JULIE HAYES
  PHONE  301 713-0864 EXTENSION 120
  EMAIL  JULIE.HAYES/AT SYMBOL/NOAA.GOV

  THIS INFORMATION IS ALSO POSTED ON THE NWS SYSTEMS
  OPERATIONS CENTER CHANGE NOTICES WEB PAGE. THE URL IS
  LISTED BELOW.

  HTTP/COLON///205.156.54.206/OSO/NOTICES/NOTICES2.SHTML

  DATA MANAGEMENT
  DATA DISSEMINATION BRANCH
  TELECOMMUNICATION OPERATIONS CENTER
  RTH WASHINGTON SENDS

  WP FILE:
  Attention: Family of Service Subscribers/NOAAPORT Users

[...]

     N1Vxxx Base Radial Velocity - 124 nmi Range
                       (1.45/1.50 Degrees Elevation Angle)
  41/ET SDUS7i CCCC
     NETxxx Echo Tops (only available in precip. mode)
  48/VWP SDUS3i CCCC
     NVWxxx Velocity Azimuth Display (VAD) Wind Profile
  56/SRM SDUS2i CCCC
     N1Sxxx Storm Relative Mean Radial Velocity (1.45
                       Degrees Elevation Angle)
                       (only available in precip. mode)
  56/SRM SDUS2i CCCC   [NOTE: Also an addition to the RPCCDS]
     N2Sxxx Storm Relative Mean Radial Velocity (2.40
                       Degrees Elevation Angle)
                       (only available in precip. mode)56/SRM SDUS3i CCCC
  [NOTE: Also an addition to the RPCCDS]
     N3Sxxx Storm Relative Mean Radial Velocity (3.35

  301-713-0070 or e-mail: address@hidden and address@hidden

>I thought the data feed was to start in April sometime.  However we have
>not seen any VAD data yet.
>
>Please advise.

The NWS has delayed the NEXRAD Level III product additions to NOAAPORT
at least twice.  Both delays were announced in DATA MGT MESSAGE
announcements carried in NOAAPORT, and through the nws-changes email
list maintained by Unidata.  It would probably be a good idea for
someone in RAP to join the nws-changes email list so s/he can be
alerted to information like this.  I see that Jim Cowie's RAP email
address is still subscribed to the list, but no other RAP folks are.

For reference, one can sign-up to Unidata-maintained email lists through:

>Thanks.
>Celia
>>
>> Celia -
>>
>> We're trying to get realtime NIDS VAD data at RAP.  It looks
>> like this data is available on the /nids disk (under
>> /nids/raw/nids/<radar>/VAD), but all of the VAD directories
>> are currently empty.  Is the /nids disk under your control?
>> Does it get data from the LDM?  I'm trying to figure out if we
>> have the VAD streams turned off in RAP since there might be nobody
>> currently using them, or if there just isn't any current VAD
>> data for any of the radars.  I've heard that the VAD data is
>> rather unreliable.  Do you know anything about this?  If we do
>> have access to VAD data and just have the streams turned off,
>> could you turn on the VAD stream for the FTG radar?

Tom Yoksas