20010822: Near real-time data request from Iowa State

>From: address@hidden

Chris,

We were CCed on Dee's response to you earlier today:

  >The EDU free data was not set up to be a real-time or near real-time
  >operation.
  >
  >The Data Center staff handles these requests as time permits. Since
  >there is no funding to do this task, it can get lower priority. If we
  >are short handed or if staff or resources are busy these requests could
  >go days without any activity.  This is really not a good option for
  >your near real-time project.
  >
  >I see two options for you. You could contact Unidata and request that
  >the area you want be added to the real-time broadcast. I do know that
  >we have discussed with them about adding more data to their broadcast
  >but I do not know where that stands at this time.
  >
  >The second option would be to purchase the data from us.  IF given the
  >details I can give you an estimate on the cost.
  >
  >Dee Wade
  >--
  >Dee Wade
  >Manager, McIDAS User Services and SSEC Data Center
  >Space Science and Engineering Center
  >University of Wisconsin-Madison                 Email: address@hidden
  >1225 West Dayton Street                                   Voice: 608.263.0527
  >Madison, WI  53706                                          Fax: 608.263.6738
  >
  >Web: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mug         http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter

What I can add to Dee's response is that Unidata will be shipping a new
machine to SSEC reasonably soon (yes Dee, the machine is is being
brought to life as I write this) as a replacement for the aging box
that provides access to the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream archives.
This new machine will be configured to provide realtime access to increased
satellite imagery including scans extending down into South America.
This access will be provided by McIDAS ADDE, DODS, and by more
conventional access methods such as FTP.  Please stay tuned to the
address@hidden and address@hidden email lists
for official announcement availability to these data.

Tom Yoksas
Unidata User Support

Original messages follow:

  >Subject:        Re: GOES8-IR Archive
  >   Date:        Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:32:45 -0500 (CDT)
  >   From:        Chris Anderson <address@hidden>
  >    To:        UW SSEC Data Center <address@hidden>
  >

  >Hello,
  >
  >Thank you for your prompt reply.  I have additional questions.  It sounds
  >like what we want is a combination of the UNIDATA and EDU archives.  We
  >are accessing the UNIDATA near realtime archive daily in order to analyzed
  >cloud features in GOES8 IR.  We would like to do near realtime analysis
  >over SH.  I have found the request to access the EDU archive, but it seems
  >like I would need to send in a request daily to do near realtime
  >analysis.  If I contacted the Unidata Project Center about changing the
  >UNIDATA archive to include near realtime images of SH, would I need to ask
  >for a special account that is only accessible to us?
  >
  >Thanks,
  >
  >Chris
  >
  >On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, UW SSEC Data Center wrote:
  >
  >> Hi, Chris.
  >>
  >> Are you referring to the UNIDATA archive? Or the EDU archive?
  >>
  >> The UNIDATA archive (which is near realtime) doesn't contain South
  >> American data.
  >>
  >> The EDU archive, which is available to educational users, contains full
  >> disk images every 3 hours (0245, 0545, 0845, 1145, 1745, 2045 & 2345z).
  >> There are also SH sectors sent every 1/2 hour (xx09 & xx39), except during
  >> hours when there are FD images.
  >>
  >> If you want changes made to the UNIDATA archive, you'll need to contact
  >> the Unidata Project Center.
  >>
  >> You can access the EDU archive from the SSEC Datacenter web page:
  >>    http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter.
  >>
  >> You'll find "EDU Requests" on the left side of the page, under "Archive
  >> Information". This will take you to the "SSEC DATA CENTER ARCHIVE".
  >> About halfway down on that page, you'll find information on "Ordering
Data".