20010727: SPAWAR data on IDD

>From:  Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Matt,

>Hi!  I wanted to get in touch with you about something I've heard recently
>about additions to the IDD.

Same here.  I have been meaning to touch base about the exact same topic.

>We here at the AMRC work with the SPAWAR folks in Charleston, South
>Carolina, who do the weather forecasting for the US Antarctic Program
>(USAP).  I have learned that some of their Automatic Weather Station (AWS)
>data and their collections of surface camp observations from USAP summer
>camps in the Antarctic will indeed be placed on the IDD for distribution.

That is the plan.  We will be working on this actively in the October/November
timeframe.

>I am happy to hear this.  I hope the community is interested in this data.
>For many years this data was not been very widely available at all.  I hope
>to collect and archive this data here at AMRC, and will be making use of
>this data in the future.

Excellent!  The other products that will be available are output from
MM5 runs being done in NCAR/MMM for Antarctica.  I wanted to see if you
would be willing to provide community ADDE access to the model output
(suitably converted to McIDAS or with new ADDE server work like the
stuff out of ABoM) like you are doing with the satellite imagery.

>However, I must express that I feel a bit left out, as we've had our own
>AWS data for many years (which covers a large part of Antarctica), and have
>not had it placed on the IDD at all.

There is nothing preventing this from being done other than some warm body
to throw at the problem.  Let's pursue this!

>Of course, I did announce a year or
>two ago of the availability of all our data (not just AWS) via ADDE.

Yes, and I bet that its use has been small.  This may change, however,
since I am including ADDE access to amrc.ssec.wisc.edu in the GUI that
I will be releasing with my McIDAS 7.8 distribution.  In fact, you may
see some activity on this server the week after next as McIDAS workshop
participants play with the interface.

>Also,
>we have great hopes to actively participate in THREDDS, for as long as AMRC
>is still funded in and in business (which is at least for another year to
>year and half with hopes for longer, pending on proposals to NSF).

Ditto.

>I also appreciate the limits of IDD.  We have had conversations over the
>last few years about placing the *full* resolution Antarctic composite
>images on the IDD (currently the IDD get 20 kilometer resolution data - 512
>by 512 big, but the composite is made at 10 kilometer resolution - 1024 by
>1024 big), but appreciate that the increased bandwidth or disk space needed
>may not be there for many IDD users to handle extra data.

I think that making the full resolution composites available by ADDE is
not only a good compromise, but it is a definite THREDDS approach.
Interested sites can look/copy to their hearths content.  Sites not
interested would not need to do any LDM/IDD configurations to prevent
receiving the data.

>Despite, this I look forward to continuing to work with UNIDATA, helping to
>achive our joint and common goals.

Sounds great.  We need to talk more about the AWS data that you want to make
more universally available and the MM5 model output that Bill Kuo of MMM
is creating.

>Best Regards,

Talk to you later...