20010614: saving NNEXRAD to GIF images

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave,

>Here is a basic question.  We are receiving NNEXRAD, N0R products for
>three sites. Is it legal for us to post these NNEXRAD images to our web
>site as a GIF image?

Yes.

>If so, how do I go about converting the data into
>a GIF.

Both McIDAS and GEMPAK can display the zlib-compressed NEXRAD Level III
products conveyed in the IDD from NOAAPORT broadcasts. Both GEMPAK and
McIDAS have the capability of creating GIF (tm) versions of displays.
McIDAS also has the capability of creating JPEG, BMP, and PPM output
(and PostScript and color PostScript).  If you have any worries about
the use of the GIF format (you shouldn't since your use will be
non-commercial), you might want to consider using McIDAS' JPEG output.

>I can view the images in GARP and save them by hand, but is
>there a way to automate the process using gempak or some other means?

I know that there is since Chiz is doing just that on the top level IDD
machine, motherlode.ucar.edu.  Chiz is out of the office right now.  He
will be back next week.

>Thanks!!

You are welcome.

Tom