Re: 20010608: Effects of WMO Resolution 40

Hello Karl,

The World Meteorological Organization consists of 185 members (see this site for additional information about the WMO <http://www.wmo.ch/index-en.html>). The WMO works to "coordinate global scientific activity to allow increasingly prompt and accurate weather information and other services for public, private and commercial use, including international airline and shipping industries. WMO's activities contribute to the safety of life and property, the socio-economic development of nations and the protection of the environment."

Regarding the WMO Resolution 40, various meteorological services around the world (e.g., about have started charging for some of their data sets. This action prevents the free and open exchange policy that the U.S. endorses and encourages.

There is more information on "additional" data, see:

<http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oso/addata.html>

These data are not supposed to be resent to the country of origin.

More information on the WMO and the Resolution 40 can be located at:

<http://www.nws.noaa.gov/im/wmocovr.htm#Contents>
<http://www.nws.noaa.gov/im/wmor40.htm>

I hope this has helped.

Please feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Linda