20010608: lack of METEOSAT imagery in NOAAPORT

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Jim and Christian,

>I don't see any METEOSAT data being captured on my NOAAPORT system. It
>is either not being transmitted or has a header that I don't have in the
>capture file.
>
>I'm copying this to Unidata in case thay might have a more definitive
>answer.

As far as I know, there is no METEOSAT imagery in the NOAAPORT
broadcast.  This is not suprising given that METEOSAT imagery is
routinely encrypted before being broadcast.  A conversation I had with
a fellow from EUMETSAT at the recent GOES Users Conference held here in
Boulder left me with some small hope that there may be a possibility of
Unidata somehow getting access to METEOSAT prime data for the Unidata
community.  I will be following up on this in the next couple of
weeks.

Christian,

As to your question to Jim about ADDE accessibility to GOES 1 km VIS
imagery:  Unidata _will_ be providing access to this data as soon as we
can get a new Sun E450 machine setup, shipped to Wisconsin, and then
configured with ADDE access to the SSEC realtime GOES streams.  I was
hoping that this would have happened by now, but we lost one of our
system administrators so the other one has not had enough time to
devote to this project.  The last estimates I got were that the machine
would worked on this month.  To me this means that I have a reasonable
shot of giving access to high resolution GOES imager and sounder data
to the Unidata community by the end of the summer.  I realize that this
may not be as fast as folks would want, but it is the best I can do
considering the complicated logistics in play.

>Christian Page wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the help. I installed McIDAS and ADDE and I am successful in now
>> displaying 1km imagery. BTW, is there any Meteosat images going through
>> NOAAPORT than can be accessed through ADDE/McIDAS?
>>
>> Christian Page
>> address@hidden    http://meteocentre.com/toulouse/
>>
>> Visiteur scientifique Tel:05 61 07 82 69
>> CNRM/GMEI/MNP et SCEM/PREVI/AERO/DP
>>
>> On Thu, 31 May 2001, Jim Koermer wrote:
>>
>> > Christian,
>> >
>> > McIDAS per se does not transmit 1-km data at this time. We use McIDAS to
>> > display the 1-km GINI data that comes directly over NOAAPORT (but not
>> > IDD). The 1-KM files are quite large--GOES-E Eastern US files alone are
>> > about 25MB in size and are usually updated every 15-minutes. We have a
>> > full Unisys NOAAPORT system, so we can receive the data. You can use
>> > McIDAS ADDE to access our data or data from another Unidata server. Tom
>> > Yoksas at Unidata (address@hidden) would be the person to
>> > contact, if you are unsure of how to use the ADDE with McIDAS. With
>> > ADDE, you don't get the raw files, just the final product using McIDAS
>> > and pointing to the ADDE server.
>> >
>> >                       Jim
>> > --
>> > James P. Koermer             E-Mail: address@hidden
>> > Professor of Meteorology     Office Phone: (603)535-2574
>> > Natural Science Department   Office Fax: (603)535-2723
>> > Plymouth State College       WWW: http://vortex.plymouth.edu/
>> > Plymouth, NH 03264

> ry?

Tom Yoksas