20010607: Effects of WMO Resolution 40

>From: Dave Fulker <address@hidden>

Greetings,

I have received a query from the National Research Council (Anne
Linn) seeking documentation on how WMO Resolution 40 is affecting
science.  If anyone on this Unidata-wide mailing list can describe a
recent effect (perhaps some inhibition in the provision data for
scientific education or research), I would appreciate receiving a
description of the situation.

The request was stimulated by NRC interest in the e-mail exchanges a
couple of years ago, involving SUNYA and Scripps, about a demand by
Ireland that certain synoptic observations (categorized as
"additional" data) be removed from university web sites.

I inadvertently left this query unattended for some time (since 6
April), so prompt replies would be _greatly_ appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave