20010427: looking for global composite IR images (cont.)

>From: Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Matthew,

re: Matt perhaps being the appropriate contact
>I'm close - but not exactly the right target...

OK.

Dave,

Thanks for forwarding my note to Jerry!

Jerry,

I am sorry I was dense enough to not send you the note in the first
place.

Matthew again,

re: composites being available somewhere in FTP land
>That is right - the mollweide and the Antarctic composites were placed
>there in the good old days of gopher, etc.

OK.  Jerry sent me the specifics about the locations that I did not
stumble on.

re: availability of the composites
>I have no idea about the mollweide composites - that is something
>you'll have to see if Dave can help with, or better yet, the Data
>Center/Dee Wade/Jerry Robaidek.

Thanks for setting me straight on this Matt.

re: my vague memories about composites available through SSEC
>Yeah - but I'm close....I'm the "other" composite as it were from SSEC.
>
>Yes, I have offered you to get/have/distribute the FULL resolution of the
>Antarctic composites. For years the Wisconsin McIDAS broadcast, and now
>IDD only placed the 20 km version of the composite out there - it is
>really 10 km 1024x1024.  I have hope to have 5 km composites in a
>a month roughly,  if I can get through some issues....those
>images will be 2048x2048.  I also plan to make water vapor and later
>visible composites :-)

Distributing the larger images through the IDD is probably not going to
happen.  However, making them available by ADDE is very desirable.  I
believe that these are already accessible through the AMRC ADDE server
that you graciously opened up to the Unidata community some months
back.  I think that I will need to send out a BIG reminder to our
community about those images.  I am sure that some folks would have at
least taken a good look during the rescue from the South Pole.

>I hope this helps - sorry I'm not the target guy.

Yes, it did help.

Jerry again,

I FTPed the RECTilinear composite and took a look.  This was exactly
the image composite that I was thinking of.  I relayed your information
to Ward Hindman of CCNY and advised him to take a look.  I included
your notes about availability (or non-availability) or the image...
sort of the Big Boy Warranty.

This will be very helpful to a small program that has an unusual and
interesting tie in to Nepal.  In fact, I believe that Ward is going to
try and run McIDAS while he is in residence at Tribhuvan University
(TU) in Kathmandu Nepal during his sabbitical in 2001/2002.  If you
know of any sites that might be willing to give Ward and his Nepalese
students ADDE access to high resolution GMS imagery during his stay at
TU, I am sure that he would be eternally grateful.

Again guys, thanks for the effort!

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Apr 27 16:57:56 2001

Tom,

>Matt and Dave,
>
>Neither of you may be the correct contact for this, but I'll give it a
>try anyway.

I'm close - but not exactly the right target...

>I have a site that could really use access to global composite IR
>imagery.  I am under the impression that the images from which the
>Unidata-Wisconsin Mollweide composites are created are somehow
>accessible.  A _long_ time ago, the 3-hourly, non-Mollweide composite
>was available by anonymous FTP from ftp.ssec.wisc.edu, but I do not
>find that image now (although my search was not comprehensive).

That is right - the mollweide and the Antarctic composites were placed
there in the good old days of gopher, etc.

>Can either of you tell me if those composite images are available from
>SSEC (or elsewhere)?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I have no idea about the mollweide composites - that is something
you'll have to see if Dave can help with, or better yet, the Data
Center/Dee Wade/Jerry Robaidek.

>Matt, I may be remembering your association with this incorrectly.  I
>have the vague memory that you told me that the antarctic composites
>are available in larger/higher resolution format.

Yeah - but I'm close....I'm the "other" composite as it were from SSEC.

Yes, I have offered you to get/have/distribute the FULL resolution of the
Antarctic composites. For years the Wisconsin McIDAS broadcast, and now
IDD only placed the 20 km version of the composite out there - it is
really 10 km 1024x1024.  I have hope to have 5 km composites in a
a month roughly,  if I can get through some issues....those
images will be 2048x2048.  I also plan to make water vapor and later
visible composites :-)

I hope this helps - sorry I'm not the target guy.

Matthew
Matthew Lazzara - Meteorologist - Antarctic Meteorological Research Center
Space Science and Engineering Center        E-mail: address@hidden
University of Wisconsin-Madison             Phone: (608) 262-0436
1225 West Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53706  Fax: (608) 263-6738

>From address@hidden Fri Apr 27 16:58:29 2001

These are the ones that were available for as long as I have been here.

For IR goto:
ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/outgoing/

IR Moll composite       ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/outgoing/AREA0998
remapped with mremap (I don't remember the history behind this.)

IR Moll composite       ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/outgoing/AREA0098
remapped with imgremap

IR Rect composite       ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/outgoing/AREA8760

For WV goto:

ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming/
WV Moll composite       ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming/AREA0298

I can't explain the directory locations other than history.  Please
note: we do not guarantee the availability of these composites via ftp.
I.e.  they get placed here, and disk space and other things affecting
their availability are not actively monitored or controlled by the Data
Center.  If they fit their needs, fine, otherwise, if they want these
data more "operationally",  they should contact the Data Center
regarding their purchase.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

>From address@hidden Fri Apr 27 16:58:30 2001