20010319: NOAAPORT SDI system at LSU

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Denise,

I am writing to touch base with you on the SSEC SDI box that is located
at Louisiana State University and functions as a toplevel relay node
in the Unidata IDD.

In a previous email to Robb Kambic, you wrote:

"From what you've said thus far, I really doubt that you have a bad SDI
 card. You wouldn't run for 5 days on a bad card. I'm not ruling it out,
 but it's the least suspect area at this time.

 The box may now have an incorrect installation of Solaris. Solaris on
 those boxes is very touchy. I'm noting that you said you've put in
 patches. Please send me a note about the version you're running and
 what patches you've installed. We want folks to treat the SDI as a
 black box because Solaris is fragile. Sorting this out remotely may
 become cost prohibitive. We might ask you to ship it back to us so we
 can reinstall Solaris and the SDI code.

 Rob, are you folks a Unidata NOAAPORT LDM hub?

 Also, can you give us access to the box via internet? Maybe we could
 fix it remotely.  We'd like to be able to look around at its setup. If
 so, please send me an account name and log on, etc."

Since Robb did not include any technical details about the lockups on
the LSU system, I offer the following error status information sent to
us by Rob Leche of LSU:

 >>NMC 2001.073.101825:SIGNAL NOT PRESENT
 >>NMC 2001.073.101825:clock stopped or ingestor died or hardware died

and the following comments from our system administrator, Mike Schmidt:

"The system is up and prefectly usable after this happens.  Since we use
the same rev of SDI software, I'm guessing that's OK.  Another bit of
data is that the "inge" process is hung and can't be killed after this
happens -- thus the software can't be restarted.  Looks like hardware
to me..."

I want to add that we are running the same SunOS+patch and SDI software
versions on another SDI box housed here in Boulder, and this system has
been running with no problems for a couple of years.  We do not feel
that the problem that is being seen on the LSU box is indicative of an
incompatibility caused the version of SunOS.  It seems to us that the
notices that we are seeing (listed above) indicate that there is
something going on with the ingest card itself.

You asked if you could get access to the box via the Internet.
Absolutely.  Please let me know who we should call with the user name
and password information.

Please let us know, if after seeing the above messages, someone there
still wants to logon to the box and do some troubleshooting.  If there
is some additional troubleshooting that we can do, please let us
know the procedure(s).  One thing that comes to mind is situating the
SDI card in a different PCI bus mastering slot (this would help rule
out PCI bus problems).

If the problem is really the card, what are the procedures for us
getting a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any/all help you can provide...

* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/ *