20010315: Floater Radar selection

>From: "Paul L. Sirvatka" <address@hidden>

Paul,

>I have a question concerning the floater sites radar selections (or
>something to that effect:-) Do you always insist that the FNEXRAD and WSI
>sites be the same?

No, not at all.

>Or would it be OK to have six different
>sites?

Yes, but the thing to remember is that not many sites are getting both
the NOAAPORT NEXRAD and WSI NIDS products.

>Sometimes it might be nice to watch boundaries form in clear air
>mode at some site even when others are watching precip.

I agree.  Given the free availability of NEXRAD Level III products, I
would tend to select the most interesting sites for the NEXRAD floaters.
This really boils down to personal preference, however.  We believe that
the folks choosing the WSI NIDS and NOAAPORT NEXRAD floaters (you and
Millersville) have been doing an excellent job, so we leave the selection
totally up to you.

>I think it might be useful for us to have that capability.

OK.  Another thing to remember is that ALL of the NEXRAD sites are available
through ADDE on machines like:

adde.ucar.edu
snow.plymouth.edu

ADDE access will allow sites running McIDAS and MetAPPS to display any
radar that they want to see whenever they want to see it.

Tom