20010216: RedHat Linux 6.x,7.x not being able to serve sounding data

>From: Dee Wade <address@hidden>

Dee (with CC to Dave),

re: status of new Unidata-Wisconsin machine
>Thanks Tom for the info.

I am as anxious to get the Unidata-Wisconsin replacement machine up and
running as anyone.  The remodel we went through really hammered us
timewise (sigh).

>The Linux problem is a surprise

It was a total suprise to me also.  This is a serious one for me since
Linux is the fastest growing (i.e. "market share") OS in the Unidata
community.

Again, the problem only occurs when going through the remote ADDE server.
If the upper air datasets are LOCAL-DATA (or LOCALHOST) there is no
problem.

>I wrote up an inquiry and this will get attention.

I have verified first hand that the problem does not occur on the
following Intel-based machines using gcc/f2c to build McIDAS-X:

o Sun Solaris x86 2.[78]
o RedHat 5.2 Linux
o FreeBSD 4.2

I have also have had no problems on:

o Sun Solaris SPARC 2.[678]
o DEC OSF/1 4.0[EF], 5.0

For completeness, I will be checking out:

o Debian Linux (I have access to one machine in NCAR/RAP; I don't know
  the OS version yet)
o HP HP-UX 11.0 (old machine)
o SGI IRIX/IRIX64

>I cannot turn it over to John as he does not work for me. I have pointed
>out your problem to Dave and will follow up on it.

OK.  I didn't think that you could simply turn the problem over to
John.  I just figured that this is exactly the sort of problem that
John may enjoy.

>I just discussed RedHat with our TC folks last week and they strongly
>encourage that we not go with RedHat 7.0 because they say it has too
>many bugs.

Those of our sites that have upgraded to 7.0 are not reporting any
significant problems.  A couple of other Linux sites have noted that
they are waiting for 7.1.

The problem we see with sites running Linux is that they are the first
ones to upgrade OSes.  It is understandable given that Linux is
undergoing rapid changes.

>It is our intention to support RedHat 6.2 for the upgrade.

OK.  This problem will be a show stopper for many sites.

>They are now suggesting Mandrake instead of RedHat. Do you have any
>experience with that?

We chose RedHat way back for a variety of reasons.  This does not,
however, limit our sites from choosing their own flavor of Linux.
Right now, I have sites running RedHat, Debian, and Slackware.  I am
not sure, but I think may have at least one site running Mandrake.

My guess is that serving sounding data throught the remote ADDE server
stopped working with the introduction of glibc 2.1.  We are attempting
to bring up a system with glibc2.0 so we can verify that it worked.  If
it does, we will try replacing one thing at a time (e.g., glibc and the
kernel) to see when things go south.  The goal, of course, is to make
sure that we can narrow down the point of failure and then, if
warranted, report back to RedHat and the Free Software Foundation that
there is a bug.

>Regarding the data it was  Prof. Jay Charney at NCSU and he was asking
>who has access to our data base. When I told him it was not free and
>sent him some sample prices that backed him off. He was not being a pest
>or anything. He was just hoping to get the GOES data more often. Which
>would be no problem for us if he was able to pay for it.

OK.  I just wanted to understand the big picture.  It does not suprise
me that NCSU made the request to you give that they were once MUG
members (still?).

>Thanks,

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Feb 16 14:48:54 2001
>To: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>Subject: MUG Inquiry Change: 11186
>From: address@hidden
>Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:48:52 -0600
>Sender: address@hidden

Linux boxes cannot server sounding data, per TomY

<a
href="http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/MUG/view/Show.cgi?FoundRecord=11186.dat&Bare=1";>11186</a>