20010208: receiving and converting NOAAPort satellite data (cont.)

>From: "Jason J. Levit" <address@hidden>

Jason,

I have been meaning to get back to you after your last message, but I
have been totally hammered by a couple of pressing problems.

re: use of GINI->AREA for a non-Unidata package

>That's correct, the conversion is for another package.  We currently
>convert McIDAS AREA files into data files used by our operational
>numerical weather prediction system.  From this data, we obtain cloud
>information as input into the system.  The current data we receive is in
>McIDAS AREA format, so I'm hoping to find a way to convert the NOAAPort
>data into the data that we need.

OK.

re: using inherent form conversion in copying from one ADDE dataset
to another

>It appears that this particular set-up could possibly work for us.
>I'm currently running LDM and our ingest software on an SGI workstation;
>I assume that installing McIDAS and the ADDE GINI components would be ok
>on an SGI?

Yes, IRIX/IRIX64 are supported platforms.

re: possibility of OU hosting an ADDE server for remote access to GINI
image data
>Support for this would be likely, though we'll have to talk to Mark
>Laufersweiler (the School of Meteorology contact) who runs the SOM
>server for the data.

Wonderful!  Do I need to contact Mark, or would it be best if you did?

>We here at CAPS just feed off that server
>locally.  However, I'd imagine that providing this data to the community
>is a strong possibility.

This is very encouraging.  It would be a big help to the growing movement
in the Unidata community towards distributed data access.

>Thanks for your help with this!  It sounds like this might work
>without too much effort.

I am enthusiastic as well.  Please let me know who should take the next
step(s).

Tom