20000906: NLDN Lightning decoding (cont.)

>From: David Harper <address@hidden>

Dave,

>After more research I understand the chain of events better.  The data
>is coming off of the noaaport.  I believe it is encrypted (I am
>verifying that now) by the NWS before it is broadcast.  Do you know
>anything about the encryption that they use?

No, sorry.

>I already have the binary
>message documentation from GAI, but the headers they say to look for
>are not in the data file I am trying to decode (therefore why I think
>the data is encrytped outside of GAI).

I would assume that the data _is_ encrypted since Global Atmospherics
sells the data (for quite a bit of money, I might add), AND the
encryption key may never be available to non-NWS sites.  Unidata member
institutions (.EDU sites) can get the data for free, but there are severe
restrictions on it (e.g., the data or products created from the data can
never be "published" on web pages).  The data may only be used for
educational and research purposes within an institution.

>Thanks,
>Dave

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Sep  6 13:14:50 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000906: NLDN Lightning decoding (cont.)

Tom,

Actually we have paid for it for this project, through GAI.  That is part of the
problem.  The assumption was that we could get a decryption of the noaaport data
once we were cleared through GAI.  I'll keep checking to see what I find out
from
my NWS contacts.

Thanks,
Dave