20000828: GOES-8 imagery

>From: Jim Smith <address@hidden>

Jim,

You sent your original message to the needdata email list that we maintain
here at Unidata.

>From: Jim Smith <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden

For reference, one must be subscribed to Unidata
email lists before s/he can post to them.  This helps to keep down on list
spamming.

You can subscribe/unsubscribe to Unidata email lists online at:

>We need GOES-8 IR,WV and VIS imagery for the time period 8/10 22:15
>through 8/13  22:15 to fill in a data gap for a research project on
>xtreme rainfall. .

The Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) of the University of
Wisconsin-Madison not only generates the imagery that is sent in the
Unidata-Wisconsin (LDM MCIDAS feed type), but it has also been arciving
it since 1991.  Unidata sites are allowed free access to the data
through passworded FTP.  The information you need on how to request
the data and how it will be named can be found in the online document:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

The access information you need is:

user: XXXXXX
pass: XXXXXX

>Gempak format is preferred.

The imagery sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin broadcast are PNG compressed
versions of McIDAS AREA files (uncompress them with the ldm-mcidas
pnga2area application).  The images that one can FTP from the
Unidata-Wisconsin archive are uncompressed McIDAS AREA files.  GEMPAK
supports the display of 1-byte imagery in AREA file format, so this is
most likely what you want.

>Thank you for your assistance.
>Jim Smith

Tom Yoksas