20000726: no LDM log files on unidata.ssec.wisc.edu

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Jerry, et. al.,

A couple of days ago I noticed that syslogd had died on unidata.ssec.wisc.edu.
BTW, 'syslogd' dying is a known problem on Solaris.

Without syslogd running, there can be no LDM log files.  Unfortunately,
I don't have root access to the machine, so I can't restart syslogd.
If you can, or if you have to contact the system administrator(s) to do
this, I should point out that it would be best proceed as follows:

o shut down the LDM
o wait until all LDM processes have exited
o restart syslogd
o verify that syslogd stays running for a bit
o restart the LDM

Any/all help you can provide in this will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry,

I made small modifications to the PNG ingest/inject routines on
unidata.ssec.  These changes were made to allow the injecting of PNG
compressed, non-CIMSS imagery into the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.
The routines that I touched were:

/home3/ldm/mcidas/bin/pnginject.k        - Korn shell script
/home3/ldm/mcidas/src/get_cimss_prod.ksh - Korn shell script

In addition to these two routines, I also modified:

/home3/ldm/mcidas/data/INJECT.BAT        - McIDAS BATCH file

The mods to INJECT.BAT kick off the PNG compression and injection of
the "normal" (i.e., non-CIMSS) UW image products.  The PNG compressed
versions are being injected into the LDM queue as EXP products.  Next
Monday, I intend to change the datastream type for these images from
EXP to MCIDAS.  I will continue, however, to inject delta encoded
images in the same stream.  I am doing this in response to one user's
request for a dual transmission during a transition period whose length
has not yet been determined.

My gut feeling is that the entire process for grabbing the "normal"
images needs to be changed from McIDAS McBASI and BATCH files run from
the McIDAS scheduler to Unix shell scripts run from cron.  This step
should be done before we increase the frequence of images (VIS, IR) in
the datastream.  I do not expect you to do this, by the way, but
wouldn't mind if you wanted to keep your fingers in the pie
so-to-speak.

Tom Yoksas