20000717: ADDE access to NOAAPORT GINI imagery at U. Georgia

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Tom,

I wanted to touch base with you about your NOAAPORT installation.  I am
under the impression that you have a two channel NOAAPORT receive
installation: one image channel (probably Goes East) and the TG channel
(channel 3).  Is this true, or have I been misinformed?

I am trying to identify a set of sites, scattered across the US, that
have a direct feed of NOAAPORT imagery and are willing to provide ADDE
access to their data to the greater Unidata community.  So far, there
are three sites cooperating in this activity:  UCAR/NCAR/SCD, Unidata
Program Center, and Plymouth State College.  There are a few others
that I am in the process of contacting now, so I am hopeful the the
number or server sites will grow in the near future.

My questions to you are:

o does, in fact, the University of Georgia have direct access to NOAAPORT
  data
o if yes, which NOAAPORT channels do you have access to (1 -> GOES
  East; 2 -> GOES West; 3 -> TG; 4 -> DCP Data Channel (channel 4 contains
  on experimental northern hemisphere composite from GOES, METEOSAT, and
  GMS))
o how do you have this access (NFS mounted disk(s) with directories
  of image files; FTP access, etc.)
o would UGA be willing to share this data with the greater
  Unidata community by hosting a McIDAS remote ADDE server
o if yes, are you the appropriate contact for this activity

Our experience has shown that the potential use of the ADDE access to
the data is a function of the network bandwidth to the server site, and
by how many server sites are available at any particular time.  The
load that server activities puts on the hosting machine is quite
modest.

I can provide more detailed information on what is involved in hosting
an ADDE remote server, including security issues, if feel that UGA
would be interested in hosting such a site.  If UGA is willing to host
a McIDAS ADDE server, I can either assist in or completely perform the
installation and setup on your machine.

Also, do you know any other Unidata sites that might be running
ingesting NOAAPORT ingest systems (particularly channels 1 & 2) and
might be willing to share their data with the community?

Any information you can provide would be most appreciated.  Thanks in
advance...

Tom Yoksas