20000710: Access to Wisconsin Datastream Archives

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

Art,

>I would like to be able to access the Unidata-Wisconsin Datastream
>Archives.  Can you forward account/password information?

machine: unidata.ssec.wisc.edu
user: XXXXXX
pass: XXXXXX

>Also, how do I handle cases where other students wish to access this data?
>I.e., can I just give them the account/password information, and then how
>is access or abuse kept from proliferating without creating a lot of extra
>work for myself in retrieving data for others?

The question is really one of abuse.  Our position is not that the
university point-of-contact has to do the FTPs, but, rather, that the
people that get the username and password don't start giving it out
to everyone that they know.  If you can stress to the student(s) that
you give the information to that they are NOT to pass it along (even
to other grad students),  then I think we can keep a lid on things.

Tom Yoksas