20000620: GOES Sounder DPI for Unidata

>From:  Tom Achtor <address@hidden>

Tom,

>I was talking with Gary and Chris today and we were wondering if the
>GOES Sounder Derived Product Imagery is now being delivered on the
>Unidata data stream.

Not yet.  Last night I finished putting together binary distributions
of the decoder package that will be necessary for users to
install/configure.  I plan on announcing the products later today with
the target turn on date of Wednesday, June 28.  This will give users
time to download and install the decoder package before the images
start hitting their machines.  The products have been flowing to
Unidata and the University of Washington since our visit to SSEC last
month.

Two minor things that I had to do to the products
before sending them along was:

o change the band numbers to be unique to the products (this is for
  GEMPAK folks)

o flesh out the memo field in the AREAs so that McIDAS users have
  something to read when they do IMGLISTs

I also have a question for you folks.  The enhancements that I FTPed
from suomi.ssec.wisc.edu do not seem to be the exact same ones used to
produce the displays on the CIMSS web page.  Also, it seems apparent
that the graphics tables in place when the GIFs (tm) were produced are
specialized.  Use of the default/graphics color table makes the VIRT
overlays look pretty bad.

It would be useful to find out the environment in which these
enhancements were created (i.e., how many image colors the session that
produce the GIFs have, etc.).

>If it is, have you gotten any feedback?  We're
>interested in helping the community if they have any questions or
>comments on the products.

I will include your request for comment in my announcement.  Do you
want me to include your email address specifically for any/all
comments?